Active Adventure Plus Spa

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Active Adventure Plus Spa

Looking for something special Caribbean or Mexico for a short (5 night) trip for our anniversary. Need to go over Thanksgiving weekend, so I have to find something FAST!! We like to do some sporty things - biking, hiking, snorkeling - especially if their are interesting things to see. Also like to get a couple of massages, so the spa is important. Romantic is good. Rustic is OK (We spent part of our honeymoon at the Corcovada Tent Lodge in Costa Rica and loved it), but cheap or tacky is not. Casual elegance is OK too. Researched Jungle Bay in Dominica and it sounded perfect!!! A little Yoga, a little biking and hiking, a nice massage, boiling lake, waterfalls, hot springs - sounded perfect for us. But they are booked. Considered Secrets Excellence Riviera Maya - liked the idea of an outdoor jacuzzi on our balcony - but they are in the process of being sold. A great pool is more important than a great beach. Private pool or private outdoor jacuzzi is right up our alley, but not necessary. Not big drinkers. We like good food, love great food, but we're not extremely fussy. Not on a strict budget. One consideration is Casa de los Suenos on Isla M....in Mexico. Don't like Jamaica, although climbing Dunns River Falls was kinda fun. Anyone have a good suggestion?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM

It sounds like the BodyHoliday at LeSport in St. Lucia might be a place worth considering for you. I can't give a first hand recommendation, but I am going there this December. It is an AI resort, and the AI price includes one spa treatment/day as well as a lot more fitness and sports activities than a lot of AI places. I've read some mixed reviews about LeSport, but I decided to go there anyway. If you are looking for world class spa treatments, beaches, or resort treatments, LeSport probably would't be the right choice for you. I think there is a sister property in Grenada, but I think it closed after a hurricane and don't know if it reopened.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

I looked at that one too. I was really interested in St. L, but USAir doesn't fly there and I have enough miles to get free flights if I fly USAir... Everything I'm really interested in seems to not work for one reason or another!!! I'm getting frustrated!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM

I understand your frustration. Half the time I want to use FF miles for a trip, I end up having to change my destination or pay for airfare myself. I'd guess that using miles over Thansksgiving is going to be really tough in general. Good luck!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM

At this late point in the game, you will be *much* better served finding out first if you can even redeem your miles. I would seriously doubt there is anything available for FF tickets for this Thanksgiving.

If you have to pay for your airfare, are you still interested in a getaway for Thanksgiving? I don't know where you're flying from, but earlier this month I was playing around with the logistics of taking a 5 night vacation over Thanksgiving. Pricing flights out of both Boston and Hartford, the least expensive flights I could find were into Kingston, Jamaica at around $550 per person, but up $1000 per person for places like Nevis or Anguilla, islands that are small enough that they cannot accommodate large jets and thus seats on the smaller planes fill up more quickly.

If you can do without the snorkeling and being at an actual beach, Strawberry Hill in Jamaica would be a great option for you. FLy into Kingston and then right up into the Blue Mountains. Great spa, good food, great hiking & biking opportunities, etc.

Seriously, you may be too late to use your frequent flyer miles with USAir. Your best bet is to call them and have them search all of their partner airlines to see if anything comes up for that week.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I can use them, but it's gonna use a lot of them (60,000 points per person round trip for coach). But it seems that any trip I have tried to book has always been the highest level of points. Also, you can't fly the day before Thanksgiving - you have to fly on Thanksgiving Day. That's OK with me - better to fly than wash dishes!!!