How many FF seats will airline allow?

Jan 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

How many FF seats will airline allow?

I already have reserved 2 FF award seats on AA to France for husband and myself. Would like to get 2 more for a trip back East for both of us (we are in San Diego). Is that possible?..is it a waste of miles for 2 flights from San Diego to Newark to Boston and home. I heard there is a formula to use.

Thanks
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:00 PM

To answer your first question:

If you have the miles AND the airline has award seats available

= as many free tickets as you want!

To answer your second question:

It's up to you. What are the miles worth to you. Can you get the "regular" award (25K miles) or does it have to be the higher (50K miles) award? How much is the ticket? Is it $250 or is it $500?

Look at the dates required. See what's possible. If you still have questions on which way to go, post.

Good luck!
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I guess I should know more about the awards.. I am not sure tho if they will let us fly into one place, then fly to another and leave from the second???..I just realized this as I wrote the question ...Maybe I better go on the site or call.

Anyway, using AA for the flights it would be $825 each. Is it worth a try?

Thanks
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM

It's best to call AA and find out. If Newark is a hub for AA, sometimes they will allow free stopovers before proceeding on your trip. As k about this. You should be able to fly into one city and out of another without a problem.
If AA does not classify your trip as a single roundtrip, another option may be to fly into Newark and then home from Boston using your FF miles and taking a budget flight from Newark to Boston.
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Most airlines allow "open-jaw" reward tickets, for the same amount of FF miles as regular roundtrips. This make them one of the best way to use FF miles. I'm sure it's the same with AA.

If you can get an itinerary for 25K, it's a good deal, and you should get it.
Jan 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM

$825 seems high per ticket (unless it's a YUP). Fares vary like crazy depending on advance notice, fare class, Saturday night, over, etc. But if your $825 is for SAN-EWR-BOS-SAN in coach it seems a bit on the high side.

Without knowing all the details I can't make a recommendation for you, but you might want to do a little more legwork and perhaps consider other airports as well (e.g JFK vs EWR).

I'm seeing SAN-EWR (via ORD)-BOS-SAN under $400 each on AA based on 21 day advance and late Jan/early Feb travel.....

GOod luck and safe travels.

Jan 5th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing that out...I use itasoftware and I did put in a non stop flight so I got $825, I will redo using other flights..