Accra Hotel For Family with 3 Teens????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on going to Barbados in July 2008. We are looking for a resort that has a nice beach, calm, clear waters. Soft white sand. Not rocky. We would like a large pool and activities and nightly entertainment. Would rent a car but like to be close to walk to restaurants, stores, etc if we want to. I have looked over many of the resorts and thought Accra Hotel would be a good choice for us. Can anyone tell me if Accra seems to fit the bill for us? We would book a 2 BR unit as there are five of us. Which 2 BR unit would be the best to request as far as view or location? Can we walk safely to the Gap to restaurants? I've heard that the water at Accra can be rough. Is it too rough to swim in or just small waves? Sandy bottom at Accra or coral? Overall I guess I want feedback on weather Accra Hotel would be lively enough for the teens with activities, nightly entertainment and large pool and nice beach. Any nightly entertainment outside the resort in the evening? Also are men required to wear long pants in all the restarants in the Gap area and in other restaurants in Barbados? We have been to various caribbean islands and my husband and teen boys always wear nice dress shorts, collared shirts and sandals to dinner and never a problem. Just wondering if it is okay in Barbados. Thanks to all.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Hi, I dont have specific info on Accra, but I can tell you the Southcoast beaches are wonderful. The waves range from rough to calmer. You will have a blast playing in the waves and all the hotels have boogie boards you can use.

As far as the Gap, you wont have a problem with nice shorts and collared shirt in most of the Gap restaurants save Southsea.

We love Barbados and always stay in the Gap. Have fun!!

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I did not stay at Accra, but went through it to check out. It had a nice calm beach (best one on that coast) and seemed close to restaurants and some nightlife. With teens, i would consider Accra a good choice.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Hi Jenndk, We've stayed at Accra 3 times, so hopefully can be of help....

Last time we were there, we were shown some of the new rooms, which were quite nice, so a 2BR is probably great. Unfortunately I can't speak to which is the best unit.

There are restaurants right across the street, the location is prime, and about 15 min very safe walk to the Gap.

Beach is great -- soft sand, clean, not rocky. The water is superb -- sandy bottom, it is wavy, but trust me, your teens will love it. I think there was only one day we could not go in, since the winds were strong and waves were too large.

Resort has a nice pool, and yes they have lots of entertainment, but my husband & I have always gone out in evenings, so I can't say much there.

Renting a car is a great idea -- you can see the whole island, and some of the other spectacular beaches. The beach at the Cliff is one of my other favs.

Downtown Bridgetown is 10 min drive, and very nice to visit.

One excursion you should not miss is the Swim with Turtles Catamaran Cruise, which we did last year and I would do again in a heart beat. It was a little pricey, but worth every penny. The turtles come right up and the snorkelling is fantastic.

Dress code in most restaurants is def casual.

I think you & your family will love Barbados, and Accra is definitely a great choice for families.

If you need any other help, just ask! Otherwise wish you a safe & happy trip!

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all the info helps. Jen