Reload this Page >

A Warning about Jamaica

Search

A Warning about Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 1997, 04:51 PM
Jake

A Warning about Jamaica

Just came back from a trip to Jamaica. No Problem right? Ha - that's the biggest case of false advertisement I know!

While in Jamaica, EXPECT THE FOLLOWING (ALL witnessed FIRST-HAND!!):
Harassment
Drug offers
Extortion attempts
Begging
Violence - physical
Violence - verbal
Diarrhea
Poorest Customer Service experienced ANYWHERE
Indifference to customer problems
Lousy food
Price increase on everything (once the merchant sees you)
Pollution (Note the warning the US Ambassador has just issued on the polluted water all along the North Coast, including Montego Bay and Ocho Rios)

What a tragic example of a country with so much potential turned so bad. Because of all of the above (witnessed firsthand) I will NEVER plan on travelling there again. Wake up, Jamacian tourism board. You are advertising a dream vacationland, but your delivering a terrible product.

Why has Jamaica become SO bad?

Old Nov 9th, 1997, 05:28 PM
judy

I have to agree with you, a friend of mine's family vacationed there last January she fell off her brothers shoulders and hurt her neck. After waiting 2 hours for an ambulance the first hospital was not even equipped with an x-ray machine. She was airlifted to a hospital in Florida and had severe spinal injuries at one point they didn't think she would walk again. Had she received some medical attention the injuries may of not been so severe. There are just too many other vacation spots than to visit Jamaica!! I'cve heard too many bad stories.

Old Nov 11th, 1997, 06:22 AM
Rebeka Muhn

A group of friends stopped at Jamaica as a port of call. Dunn River Falls Tour was fantastic. We were only there on the island a few hours but we have to agree with the warning. After the tour we all decided to walk into town, Ocho Rios to shop. We found the vendors very aggressive compared to the other ports (except Labadee was worse). Each block that we walked we were offered drugs or prostitution services. What made this so unbelievable is police/security were patrolling the streets also!! We did not feel safe and couldn't get back to the ship fast enough. We are all cautious about safety but will this year we will research all the ports before we leave this Dec on another cruise. The above experiences were Dec/96.

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 07:50 PM
Michel

Everything being relative, I feel that all of you are judging an entire country much too quickly! In my experience, Jamaica is a wonderful place: rich in culture, in people, in art, etc. Relax! Walk cool! And don't expect everything to be the way it is in whatever country you're from.

Old Nov 17th, 1997, 07:52 AM
Jean E. Bowers

I agree with the last message. Jamaica is a third world country. The expectation of services being the same as we enjoy here is not realistic. Things that are important to us are not important to the same degree there. The person who fell from her brothers shoulders needs to use more caution out of the country. None of the islands in the Caribbean have the medical facilities that are equal to the U.S. The life is slower, more simple and in some respects better and without a doubt different. Some islands are more primitave and Jamaica is amoung that group, but it is not without its special charm. You just have to look for it.

Old Nov 17th, 1997, 08:34 AM
CThornton

Ditto. It is important to remember that Jamaica is hird World with many of the associated problems(poverty, inadequate facilities, congestion, underdeveloped are generally friendly, the island is beautiful, and culture
as rich and complex as any in the caribbean.
My advise: relax, don't expect a developing nation to provide you with the services of a developed country, enjoy the island for what it is..

Old Nov 17th, 1997, 08:39 AM
CThornton

Ditto. It is important to remember that Jamaica is hird World with many of the associated problems(poverty,inadequatefacilities,congestion, underdeveloped infrastructure).
My advise: relax, don't expect a developing nation to provide you with the services of a developed country, enjoy the island for what it is.. one of the most beautiful and culturally complex in the caribbean

Old Nov 17th, 1997, 11:49 AM
Ram Parameswaran

I went to Jamaica in '95 and agree that it is definitely the wrong place for a leisurely caribbean holiday, unless you go to an all inclusive resort and never get out into the towns. Third world does not excuse the aggressive and often rude vendors that accosted us everywhere, getting mugged at knife point on the beach during sunset and blatant racism.
There is hostile resentment against Indians there as they make up a large majority of the successful merchants (probably because they work while the natives get stoned!). Reggae is Jamaica's only redeeming factor.

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 08:28 AM
cthornton

Divergent impressions of an island or experience are one thing, labeling an entire group of people is something altogether different. Indeed, it smacks of cultural ignorance at best and racial insensitivity at worst.
My advise: before calling others racist take a close look @ your core values. What accounts for the ease at which you are able to brand the majority of native Jamaicans as indolent and intemperate?

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 02:29 PM
Lee

This is becoming quite the forum! I had to give my two cents simply because I may add a different viewpoint: I lived in Ocho Rios as a child (13 or so). First, we lived in a house on the main drag, then up at "Dover Farm" in the "outback". Being a caucasian, you might think that I'd be in danger. I wasn't. I lived up at the farm for about one year and never got into a fight or into trouble. I was treated well by the locals and I treated them the same. Most of the kids my age couldn't read and write so communication wasn't the same. No favorite TV shows and such as most of them lived in huts without water and electricity. Later on, we moved into a hotel that my dad worked at and it was different again playing with other kids that only stayed for a week at a time. The locals knew me so I was treated a little different than the tourists. There are two sides to every coin. On one, we have some tourists that visit other nations and expect to be treated like royalty and accept nothing less. I know that right here in Pennsylvania, we treat NO ONE like royalty, unless they ARE. The other side of the coin has a very poor country without any real government support systems (employment office for example)and giant resorts that pay wages which are next to nothing (try $50.00 per month in some cases!) and the people may turn to street vending and possibly crime or drugs to earn a living. It's not pretty. Sure things in Jamaica (and other spots) could be better, but if you visit, take these things into consideration. Remember, you are a visitor in their country. With the emphasis on "visitor". Go, but take an open mind and some courtesy. Don't flash wads of money and lots of jewelry. It's not appropriate. I may or may not return to Jamaica, but please don't judge a country or it's people by one trip ashore or even by one week. It's not fair. There are tourists being robbed or worse right here in the US and we're not a third world country, remember? In closing, Jamaica is a naturally beautiful place with it's own "bad" side and problems. Yes, reggae is one of the good things. Many people go there and have a great time, may you do the same, if you choose to go.

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 04:48 PM
jan

Old Nov 18th, 1997, 04:57 PM
jan

We visited Jamaica a while ago, about 7 years ago. It is a place I will NEVER spend my money in again. You say don't judge them. I say, people pay very hard earned money and save a long time go to on a nice vacation! While we were there, Ocho Rios, Our hotel was robbed 3 nights out of 7. One of the nights, entering a room thru the sliding glass door, where was the security? Someone could have been killed. One of the robberies took place on our balcony outside of our room 3 doors down. I couldn't believe it. It was a friend of ours that we came with. Everything was taken. They spend 1 1/2 days with jamaican officians, worthless people, just to get their important papers in order so when it was time to go home, they could get out of Jamaica! Not only that, but other nights as well there were break ins and robberies. Very scary to go to bed at night! The people were very rude there at the hotel and all through Jamaica. They only want your money but do not treat you with any respect. There was way too much begging, everywhere you went, they followed you right up to your hotel. Unvelievable. One of our group was held at knifepoint across the street from thehotel.. Prostitution right in front of your place.
Well, to me Jamaica is a place from hell and I would never go back again.
Cancun Any day!!! The difference between mexico and Jamaica is like night and day.

Old Nov 21st, 1997, 09:55 AM
Diane

The first time I read this I was disappointed to think people would get the opinion that vacationing in Jamaica is a horrible thing. I was pleased to see both sides reflected. We go to Jamaica at least one time a year. We always stay at a 5 or 6 star. Sandals or Superclub. We have never had a problem inside one of these. They have been wonderful. Including the workers. However, I would never ever stay anywhere besides one of these. Cancun is much more like the US, that is not what we are looking for on a vacation. If you want a more US vacation that would be the place for you.

Old Nov 21st, 1997, 12:35 PM
Michel

Jan... If you think Cancun reflects Mexican culture, then think again! If you're looking for things to be the way they are at home, then why bother leaving home. I agree with Lee. When in Jamaica, let us not forget that we are "visitors". Irie!

Old Nov 21st, 1997, 05:24 PM
Rick O.

Jamaica home of many beautiful beaches. Dunn Falls excellent. I took my family to Jamaica about three years ago. We stayed in Montego Bay at the Holiday Inn. I had just checked into our room, and was pool side with my family. I noticed that the maid had returned to my room that already had been cleaned. By the time I reached the room my wallet had been picked threw. She had helped herself to a couple hundred dollars that I had forgot to change into travelers checks. Called the Manager on duty who did nothing. I even tryed to report the incident to the Jamaician Police. They never showed up! Nice Family Hotel. Jamaica home of beautiful sandy beaches and wonderful weather. Love their jerky stlye chicken and pork.
But I think I'll enjoy the food at Jamaician restaurant in the states. I would never recommend
a trip to Jamaica!!!!

Old Nov 21st, 1997, 06:47 PM
judy

It was very interesting to read everyones opinions regarding Jamaica. I have heard many good and bad stories about Jamaica and unfortunatly most of them have not been good. I guess the worst was the girl who my friend knows who hurt her back--granted maybe that was not the smartest thing to do but she could of also been hit by a car. According to her father the hospitals were not equipped at all.(Like many other countries). But having yourself surrounded by people that at least show some compassion would of made the situation even easier to deal with. Yes, this is a third world but I truly believe that there are many more beautiful areas to vacation, where you are much more safe and the people of the countries are kind to you, want you to visit them. Why does there seem to be so many bad stories about Jamaica? I truly have always wanted to visit it.

Old Dec 3rd, 1997, 06:45 AM
Liz

I will be leaving on the 12th of Dec. for a two-week stay at my favourite little hotel in Boscobel - the Blue Haven. This will be my 7th time there - 1st trip was to Boscobel Beach Resort - wonderful - but too expensive for my travel budget. Returning to the BH is like "going home" to visit family ... the locals know me by name ... and always are friendly and respectful when I'm in the local stores, walking down the street or at the beach. There's a wonderful reef to snorkel around. Local fishermen always willing to sell you some of their morning catch. If you want to experience "home", best stay there or make an attitude adjustment before you leave and remember that you're visiting ... a smile and a pleasant hello go a long way! Looking forward to another great trip ... hope to see you there!

Old Dec 3rd, 1997, 07:02 AM
Paul Soracco

We are looking for a reef to snorkel during a boat trip to Ocho Rios. We have done the Dunn Falls and want to snorkel in unpolluted water on the North Beach. Any suggestions?
Are there snorkel outfitters or guides that you can recommend?

Old Dec 3rd, 1997, 07:02 AM
Paul Soracco

We are looking for a reef to snorkel during a boat trip to Ocho Rios. We have done the Dunn Falls and want to snorkel in unpolluted water on the North Beach. Any suggestions?
Are there snorkel outfitters or guides that you can recommend?

Old Dec 6th, 1997, 09:43 AM
msriver2

I found all the Jamaica reply's quite interesting. I have been to Jamica 7 times starting in 1978 most recently in 96. Yes all the bad things mentioned here can and do happen. If you expect Jamaica to be anything like north america you will bee dissapointed. I always tell anyone going there to expect some culture shock. On the flip side I have met some wonderful Jamaican people who would do anything for you. The ocean and country side have a natural beauty all there own. If you go one or two tips I can give are , with people trying to sell you anything be respectful but very firm.
For security use common sense and dont leave cashin rooms and be very careful at night. That said by all means go and enjoy the unique place called JAmacia Irie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -