A tropical all inclusive resort

Aug 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

A tropical all inclusive resort

My Boyfriend and I are in our mid 20's and are looking for a mid winter tropical vacation to get away from the cold of Pa. We are looing for an all-inclusive. We do drink but do not want the Hedonism atmosphere but would like an adult only atmosphere. We will consider Jamaica and all other beach all-inclusives, including Europe and Mexico. I would like to go somewhere, where is it safe to leave the resort and explore some local areas. Any and All tips would be welcome.
Thank you
Aug 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM

I would like to recommend Couples Swept Away, which makes you feel like you're on a honeymoon whether or not you're married. The main reason we like it is because it doesn't look or feel like a hotel - nothing higher than 2 stories - and also because it has such fantastic, healthy food AND great sports facilities AND a very laid-back atmosphere AND pretty rooms. There are lots of posts here about Swept Away if you do a search. You can fly nonstop from Philly to Montego Bay, then get a bus or plane to Negril, which is the kind of town you describe and a 5-minute taxi ride from the resort.
Aug 20th, 2006, 03:24 AM

hi illusion, first of all, the only islands where one often hears that you truly need to exercise extreme caution are haiti and domincan republic. all other islands have some crime but tourists are not often involved. certainly most islands have lower crime rates than say penna. (no insult intended, i was born and raised in valley forge area). when you are at a resort you still need to lock your doors, and when you are off resort you need to lock the car and not leave expensive things on the beach while you are off for a swim or walk.
couples swept away is very nice/romantic according to a young couple i know who honeymooned there recently.
however, you didn't say what sort of island you seek or what activities off resort interest you. do you snorkel or dive? (caymans, turks and caicos) into history ? (abc's) want to go sailing or take a day trip where you can see a group of islands (bvi's or st.vincent/grenadines)
some islands are flat and scrubby (aruba, t&c) some lush and hilly (st.john, st.lucia). shopping (st. thomas, barbados) outdoor extreme (mexican riviera,jamaica, costa rica)
there are a few places where some spanish or french would be useful.
so, i did quick search and found a site that looks useful: http://www.all-inclusives.com
and you might look at www.tntvacations.com they are a charter company - which makes travel quite easy and a little less expensive.
Aug 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM

You might find Club Med a good option for you. Lots to do and all inclusive, some packages with airfare. You can be involved with lots of water and sport activities and most locations have amazing beaches. I did Martinique and Eleuthera (now closed due to hurricane damage) and loved it both times.

Have a great time.
Aug 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your tips! My boyfriend is a history major and is very into that type of thing (although he has pursued a career in bartending,lol). I would LOVE to go scuba diving. I love jewlery and would like to check out some local jewlery shops. We are both up for new adventures, hiking ect. My boyfriend is also into sailing, and other water type sports.
Aug 20th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I also wanted to ask, is there an Off searson? Of any other tips for getting cheeper rates? We are considering couples swept away
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Palladium, Puerto Adventuras Area, Mexico: Riviera Maya! BeEeeeUTeeeFul.
tripadvisor.com
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Summer months June - August are off season in most caribbean islands, as are October and November....but remember hurricane season!
Hope this helps...
Debi
Aug 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM

In terms of off-season, winter in the US generally is high season in the Caribbean. I'm sure there must be some variation among islands, but generally high season is Dec through April, and the times around holidays and school breaks (i.e., Thanksgiving, Christmas to New Years, MLK weekend, and Presisdent's Day, Easter) are most expensive and crowded. Even though you are looking for all adult-only properties, you are going to face competition for airfares during the popular family travel times. If you are willing to travel before the middle of December or in mid to late April (after Easter/school breaks), you may find some bargains. Also, if you are willing to wait and take your chances and are flexible about destination and travel dates, you may find a last minute package. Others have suggested auctions as ways to find good deals. Finally, a package that includes both air and hotel may save some money, especially if you get a package that uses charter air.
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM

If you like exploring (rainforests, mountains, etc.), I would recommend Sandals Grande in St. Lucia (not all honeymooners). The resort is on a great beach (perfect for all watersports) and there is PLENTY to explore on St. Lucia and plenty to do at the resort (snorkeling, tubing, water skiing) - best of both worlds. How close are you to Philadelphia? You should be able to get a direct flight from Philadelphia to St. Lucia (4.5 hour flight) - I have not checked in a while, but . . .
Aug 21st, 2006, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

We are about 90 min away from the Phil airport. We are closer to harrisburg, but usually fly out of PHL or BWI (2 hrs away) due to rates and convience (ie direct flights)
Aug 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM

illusion321 - USAir has direct non-stop flights from Phili to St. Lucia, but air fare between December and February is $561 per person (and they only fly in/out on Saturdays). Do you have any FF miles?
Aug 21st, 2006, 10:46 AM

I'm flying from BWI to St Lucia in early December but wasn't able to find non-stop flights; I also wasn't able to find any availability (either Delta or USAirways from BWI, IAD, or DCA when I tried to book using frequent flyer miles several months ago). I think Delta and USAirways only fly into UVF (in the South part of St. Lucia), so I chose an American flight into SLU (the Northern airport to minimize my ground transportation time and cost in St. Lucia). From BWI, American's connections through SJU go into SLU, while their conections through Miami go into UVF. I booked my flight in May and paid about $600, but I noticed they had come down a little bit over the last couple of months, and American actually did a price adjustment for me without charging any fees. Flying mid-week (Tues - Thurs) is a little cheaper compared to weekend flights.
Aug 21st, 2006, 11:32 AM

Sounds like $561 for a non-stop flight out of Phili ain't too shabby, even if to the Southern part of the island.

One more recommendation: IF you decide on St. Lucia, and fly into the main airport to avoid connections, etc., and can swing it, do the helicopter transfer to the northern part at least one way - 12 minute flight, but awesome!!
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM

The nicest place I have ever been to is the Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen. It was on special at TonsofHotels.

http://www.tonsofhotels.com/all-incl...ns/adult-only/
or
http://www.tonsofhotels.com/all-incl...-riviera-maya/
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM

Topping a thread from August 2006 and then touting a website is pretty obvious. You wouldn't happen to have a stake of a personal or business nature in this place? Sure sounds like an ad on your first post.

Advertising isn't allowed per the terms of service you agreed to when you just signed up for Fodors.

Pay for ads like everyone else.

Anyway, I stayed at that place and it had bedbugs and the staff stole my stuff.

Shheeesh.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM

The Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen and theRoyal Playa del Carmen are both very nice. The Royal is a bit more upscale, but the beach is not as nice. The Royal PDC has a nice beach and is a few minute walk to 5th ave (a great lttle town with lounges, clubs, shops, restaurants, etc) I am not an AI person and loved it. We are planning to return this year. The food was very good and no reservations were needed. You can easily take excursions to the ruins, parks, ceynotes, etc. I have fallen in love with Mexico as there is so much to see and do and it is so safe. Isla Mujeres is a small island off Cancun. They have just opened a new Palace resort and the rates are very reasonable. You can also utilize the Palace resorts in Cancun if you want to see something different. The island is not big, but you can rent mopeds and golfcarts to tour it. You can easily fly nonstop to Cancun on USAir or USA3000.