A perfect beach??? So frustrated!

Jan 11th, 2002, 08:08 PM
gerianne

A perfect beach??? So frustrated!

Have been "living on the net"...trying to find a spot where I know I will love the beach. What is so frustrating is seeing how the beaches can differ GREATLY not only between the different island, but between the individual hotels as well! For eg: learned that the Sunset Beach resort in Mo. Bay is teeny, has much debris..and lots of jellyfish. Other places talk about rocky beaches and rough waves. So....who can recommend a beach that is beautiful, without seaweed and yucky stuff in the water, no jellyfish....not blanket to blanket people. I want to find a beach like you see on the T.V. commercials...white sand, green water...and some degree of privacy. Thanks!

Jan 11th, 2002, 08:32 PM
e

Does there have to be a Hotel on this beach ????

Jan 11th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Susan

Go to Aruba (Palm Beach) or Ft. Lauderdale around 17th St. Causeway & up to Delray Beach. Do not go @ Christmas, mid Feb (university break) or mid March (school break).

Jan 11th, 2002, 08:57 PM
BestBeach

I recommend doing an archive search here for "best beach", which returns lots of threads on that topic. At least 15 Carib beaches tend to surface over and over as favourites. Of course what makes a beach the best is another issue. There are lots of differing opinions about water color and temp, sand color and softness, lack of rocks, grass, and seaweed, ability to stay directly on the beach vs having to drive there, seclusion vs crowds, natural vs groomed, safety of surroundings, water sports, snorkelling from shore, luxury vs affordable accomodations etc

Jan 12th, 2002, 03:20 AM
steve

We've yet to find a beach as beautifull as Punta Cana in the D.R.Real white sand,palm trees for shade,clear water with out seaweed or rocks and about 20 miles long!gotta love it and affordable enjoy

Jan 12th, 2002, 03:28 AM
canadian

You didn't say where you were coming from but if you are canadian or european try the keys of Cuba. Done a little travelling and these have been the "most perfect" so far. The downside is they are pretty boring for snorkelling. If you are american, you can still get there but it seems to be quite a pain.

Jan 12th, 2002, 03:30 AM
tivertonhouse

I suffer from 'disassociative fugue' or the urge to drop everything and leave for the perfect beach. It's a very satisfying malady. Worldwide, ANSE LAZIO on Praslin, and literally all the beaches on La Digue -- both in The Seychelles Islands -- some surrounded by sculpted rock and escapments straight out of an old Tarzan movieI are 'perfect 10s'. Kenya's beaches are also superb. In the Caribbean, the beaches of BARBUDA ,LOS ROQUES, the area south of Tulum to Chetumal in the YUCATAN, and ANQUILLA are all dream-quality. The beach you see in the Jamaican tourist agency's adverts DOES EXIST and does look like that. It's in lush mountained PORT ANTONIO ,home to some of the best Jamaican untouristed if wilder beaches, this one being Frenchman's Cove. Go BEYOND the Sunset Beach-type package/low-ends and concentrate on the beach first. Conde Nast Traveller (both the US and the vastly different UK editions,the English magazines Tatler and Harper's and Queens' are good starting points to go beyond the obvious to find the sublime.

Jan 12th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Penney

Travel andLwisure Mag, in the winter of 2000 posted top beches. This was their list:

Caymans - Rum Point and Seven Mile
St. John - Honeymoon Beach
St. Thomas - Sapphire Beach
Barbados - Crane Beach and Brandons
Bahamas - British Colonial Beach and Cabbage Beach
JAmaica - Reggaw beach ouside of Ocho
Rios, Mahogany beach (also outside
Ocho)

If you don't agree - don't shoot the messanger - I am just listing what they said!

Jan 12th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Sandy

I'll vote for Grand Cayman and Seven Mile beach!!!

Jan 12th, 2002, 09:41 AM
irieone

The two best beaches I have experience are Proividnciales, Turks & Caicos, and Punta Cana, Domnican Republic.

Jan 12th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Joyce

The Beach at the Barcelo Mayan Resort in Puerto Adventuras Mexico (Mayan Riviera)
Honeymoon Beach St.Thomas
7 Mile Beach or Bloody Bay, Negril Jamaica.
Any beach in Aruba Eagle, Palm or Sonesta Island.
7 Mile Beach Grand Caymen
Turks and Caicos (one of the prettiest beaches I have seen).
All beaches will have seaweed and yucky stuff and jellyfish or sea creatures at on time or another unless you are looking for an Artificial Beach, not on an Ocean (sea creatures do live in them.)

Jan 12th, 2002, 10:44 AM
abaco

Depends on where you are staying. Literaly!! The only beach in Nassau I would put my feet in are on Paradise Island.

It realy boils down to what type of experience you want or can afford.

Example being, if you want a beautiful beach and can afford it, I'd say Ocean Club on Paradise Island. There it is clean, beautiful and you can be pampered night and day. Very expensive though and really best for couples. Not a place to go to really meet people or bring children.

If you have children and love to be in the thick of things, I'd say Atlantis Paradise Island. There they have beautiful clean beaches but, lots and lost of people.

If you want a true Bahamian experience, I'd say Hope Town in Abaco!!

The beaches are spectacular. Lots of restaurants. People are really freindly. You can Island hop, etc and see lots of different beautiful beaches.

Like I said, it really depends on the experience you want and how much money you are willing to spend.

Hope this helps,
abaco1

Jan 12th, 2002, 12:47 PM
e

Just my opinion, BUT I think that 7 Mile Beaches in GC and in Negril are fun spots but not as truly beautiful as many others ???

Jan 12th, 2002, 01:39 PM
gerianne

Just want to thank everyone for their responses to my question. You have all given me a lot of options to explore...and my other research has taught me that right here in the US, Destin, Florida is said to have beaches that are just as nice or even better than some in the Caribbean. Thanks again!

Jan 12th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Karen

Oh shucks! One of my favorites, Honeymoon Beach on St. John is there. One way to spoil a beach is to declare it the best and everyone checks it out! Boy! I must be in for some treats and have to schedule some visits to the others. Hard to believe that T&L didn't pick at least one Anguilla beach! And Grace Bay on Provo is a wonderful sight but there are glorious beaches throughout the TCI! Just hoping Provo doesn't wind up as a lowrise Aruba with all the developement! It's getting there!

Jan 12th, 2002, 02:01 PM
mike&tammy

Our Top 5 -
7 Mile Beach - Grand Cayman
Shoal Bay - Anguilla
Grand Anse Beach - Grenada
St. Jean - St. Barts
La Diamant - Martinique

Jan 12th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Ted

Aruba -- Palm Beach & Eagle Beach

Unbelievable

Jan 12th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Lyn

If you're just talking beaches Anguilla (pick any beach) has the most beautiful beaches of anywhere I've been. It's a VERY quiet, unspoiled island with not much else going on. The beaches look just like the photos you see in magazines or the commercials you see on TV...beautiful.

Jan 14th, 2002, 11:21 AM
vlouisv

Lyn speaks the truth. One that everyone has missed is Rondevous Bay. It could possibly be perfection. Also, there is snorking on Anguilla, but the reefs have some damage from recent storms.

Jan 15th, 2002, 08:23 PM
RichF

There is no question, 7 Mile Beach in either Negril or Grand Cayman! Both rate as spectacular beaches, as well as 'fun spots'. The water is crystal clear, calm, swallow and warm. Hotels are located right on the beach - so just look at any picture, you'll see the beach is as beautiful as you get.

Also, I have never been to Destin -Florida, but I wonder how warm is the water is on Jan 15th? I heard it's very nice but it is definetly NOT quite 7 mile beach in Cayman or Negril.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO