7 Mile Beach Condos

Jul 5th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

7 Mile Beach Condos

I'm stuck between Aqua Bay Club, Silver Sands, Discovery Point (all north end), or Plantana (middle). Family with 3 kids looking for great beach, snorkeling, quiet but other families. How important is being near Cemetary Reef if good snorkeling is a priority? Is it more important to be more centrally located? We do plan to rent a car. Any distinctive differences between these properties?

Probably will travel next summer--June or July for two weeks.

Any advice?
Jul 6th, 2003, 09:21 AM

i would go for one of the condos at the north end. If you care about snorkeling, being at Cemetary Reef is all-important. It's a nice quiet area on the best part of the beach. Jackie at Discovery Point is very nice, and also Gwenda at Silver Sands. As you probably know, they are building a new Ritz-Carlton in the middle of Seven Mile Beach, and I would stay as far away from the construction as possible!
Jul 6th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's great advice. I didn't know about the Ritz construction, but knowing that makes all the difference.

Jul 6th, 2003, 06:06 PM

we stayed at Discovery Point in March with a large family group occupying three separate units. It was a good time of year, after the heavy rainy season, and warmer than the southeastern US where we live. The units are fine for families but are definitely not up to Ritz Carlton standards if that's what you're looking for. The complex is on a nice quiet section of Seven Mile Beach, which also means that it's more than an easy walk to grocery stores and restaurants, so either plan to spend heavily on cabs or rent a car for your entire stay. We chose the cab route and were very pleased with the prompt service which came at considerable cost. The island is reminiscent of south western Florida rather than the Carribean. It's very prosperous and there doesn't appear to be any of the usual poverty seen elsewhere. Cemetery Reef is a good snorkeling destination because of the rock formations and some fish, but don't expect St. John-quality snorkeling off the beach in the Caymans, it apparently fell off sharply in quality after a hurricane some years ago which damaged the reef and the fish are sparse. All in all, the Caymans are a good family destination, safe, good value for the money, but not the usual Carribean experience.
Jul 6th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I know what you mean. My husband and I went to the Caymans 15 years ago for our honeymoon--haven't been back since. Last year, we took our kids to the British Virgin Islands and had a great trip...a real adventure. Just thought we wanted an easier and more "convenient" spot to rest for this next Caribbean experience so thought we'd go back to Grand Cayman. We don't need Ritz Carlton type accommodations (and would in fact feel uncomfortable in such!), just beautiful beaches and good snorkeling. Sorry to hear about the reefs. We remember 7 mile beach as fabulous for snorkeling.
Jul 8th, 2003, 03:19 AM

Although the reefs aren't as colorful as they used to be, there are plenty of fish. Cemetary reef is a nice snorkel, and you will be surrounded by fish. There are several other locations to snorkel from shore if you travel south along 7MB. Try the reef out in front of Treasure Island. Also just south of Georgetown is Eden Rock which will have more fish than you can imagine, including Tarpon that are 6 feet long.

So i agree with the comment above about the reefs losing some of there color, but there are more fish along the reefs in Grand Cayman than most other destinations. If you want color, try diving in GC....it's some of the best in the caribbean, bar none. The wall dives are something you will never forget.
Jul 8th, 2003, 01:06 PM

We just came back from our first trip. We stayed at Aqua Bay Club and simply loved it. They are beautiful condos, beautifully furnished and beautiful views. Although I have not stayed anywhere else I would always stay there. Cemetary Reef is just beyond Aqua Bay.