Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

4 seasons-exuma -still under construction?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked a trip to go to the new four seasons on great exuma in april. I just read on tripadvisor.com that it is still a huge construction zone! Anyone been there... they opened in November....
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM

I think it's open. Four Seasons sent me an announcement offering rates starting at $495 per room per night with $150 credit per room per night to be used towards resort services. Offer valid Jan. 4 thru April 10, 2004. I received this about 2 weeks ago.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:41 PM

I stayed there 1/22-1/25. I would guess that about one third of the rooms were not finished at that time but we did not think that the work was very intrusive. The hotel &beaches are quite beautiful. The service was excellent but the dining not yet up to high standards. Very quiet. Are they still offering an opening discount?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

that is a relief... I had heard about huge earth-moving equipt on the golf courses, hammering, etc.

is the food bad? or just still ironing out the menu, etc.

by chance, did you notice if there is any medical services around... we are travelling with 3 young children ... bound to get ear infection or something.. Also - is there much to do outside the resort.. restaurants, etc? I hear it is pretty spartan.
thanks so much!!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:13 PM

Harper's Hideway report just completely panned the property, saying it clearly was not ready for guests yet. In summary they stated the property was still a huge construction site, they did not like the design of the property at all calling it "a non-descript structure concocted by a hodgepodge of architects who couldn't agree on a unified plan", indicated the service was horrible (45 minutes to check in, one hour to get luggage to room after three phone calls, one hour for breakfast to arrive at room, maids who did not clean room 'til 4:45 p.m. on day) and not at all used to dealing with the kind of clientele that frequent this class of resort, etc. The tenor of this review that was that anyone with a booking should cancel and wait for the property to fix its major flaws.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Hi-
I didn't play golf so cant speak to that. Don't have a good idea about doctors. Clinics on the island looked pretty rustic & there are less than 5K people who live on the Exumas. Food service was slow & meals just ok whereas I think they should be outstanding. Hodge podge of styles-I disagree but not that distinctive either. No interior spaces that are wonderful to hang out in. The service I encountered was outstanding! People were so nice. There is very little outside the resort. Would you like some pictures?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I am going there on my honeymoon in May. If you could email me photos I would love to see them. [email protected]

Thanks for the report and for offering the photos, very kind.

Take Care
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:07 PM

My pix are at this address.
http://www.msnusers.com/[email protected]
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:45 AM

I guess you need to be a member of that group to view the page. Any other way to view them?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:08 AM
jth

I am panicked about Great Exuma! We are scheduled to go there for our honeymoon in June. The reviews we seen have been nothing short of horrendous. Our travel agent told us one of her clients left in the middle of their trip! We have been to Nevis and Punta Mita and love them both, but we are now very nervous. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, if there is any way that I could see your pictures too I would really really appreciate it. I could not get in either with that link. Thanks guys!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

mason -- thanks for the reply, i couldnt get your pics either...but would certainly appreciate the chance to see them!! How extensive are the activites at the hotel, is the a battery of boats, water sports, etc. to keep you busy during the day? we booked a 7 day trip - is that too long if there is not much to do? our kids are 6,4 and 1...apparently they have a children's camp.. did you see it?
thanks!! For the honeymooners.... maybe by June it will be better!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:26 PM

I have also stayed @ 4 Seaons @ Nevis & Punta Mita. In January, Exuma was not as wonderful as either of those resorts. I think that the Exuma beach is more beautiful than Nevis or Punta Mita. There are excursions & day trips offered but not many.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

Mason525, i am also planning a trip there in May. Could you email or post instructions to access your site -- it said I was not authorized. Thanks. Rocky [email protected]
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:03 AM

I am heading to FS Exuma next week. I have spoken to several people at the resort (and a few people just back). They said it is fabulous and to pay no attention to the "construction" or "kinks getting worked out" comments. Most agree that this resort will soon overtake Nevis (about 3 hours closer from NYC, much better!!!). Mason, any luck on reposting those pics where we can see them? Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Of course people at the resort told you to not pay attention to those comments.
We were there for Valentines Day weekend. The statements about construction, inexperience staff and other iffy things are true. It didn't ruin my vacation by any means, but this resort is NOT yet up to par, and still has lots of kinks.
Not much to do in the area, most tours are at least 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours away.
We had a wonderful stay, but I wouldn't go back for a couple of years.

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Tamara, what excursions did you take? Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:16 PM

We went to Georgetown (30 minute drive)
and we took a boat ride to Pidgeon Cay for snorkeling. It was 1hr in the boat, and we had to wait nearly 20 minutes for the boat to be ready.

The dive trip to the Stanial Cay /Thunderball grotto was fantastic.. but it was a 1 1/2 hour boat trip (plus loading time).
The Land and Sea Park is 3 hours by boat. This tour leaves at 6am... yikes.

We also took a local catamaran trip, it was very nice, but they were overbooked, and had far too many people aboard.
We were looking for a little romantic getaway.. and really didn't find anything suitable. (except the suite, of course)
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:40 PM

We've booked the Castaway Getaway...drop off on "private island" for the day. Sounds like that's what you wanted?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

tamara - sounds like for a romantic getaway it would be a disappointment..we are hoping that for a family trip, 3 children under 6.. if the pools/beach are fun and clean.. and food is good, would you give it a thumbs up...?? i called the corp. office in the city (nyc) and was assured by the director that there is NO consstruction, but some unfinished areas. he also told me that they were overwhelmed by the feb. school break crowds and have learned a lot of valuable lessons ( I suppose at the guests expense!) any thoughts on childrens activities and food..were the pails and shovels for kids on beaches, etc...thank you so much!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Oops. New URL:

http://thegoods.ath.cx/~hmason/exuma/

Let me know if it still doesn't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -