4 nights in the Caribeans

Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 nights in the Caribeans

My husband and I are looking for a vacation for the weekend sometime in April-May. Since it's a short vacation and we are coming from Chicago, we wish to find an accessible destination, but it has to include:
Turquoise water beach with white send
pretty calm and relaxing atmosphere
Doesn't need to be fancy
I'm pregnant so no need for outdoor activities

We thought of Negril, Jamica but I'm afraid it's too hectic. On the other hand, to the smaller island it would be more difficult to reach.
Please advise. Thanks
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 04:57 AM

you can get to provo, turks & caicos or grand cayman in 6 hrs on USAIR. either will offer you all on your list. let us know how much you want to spend per night for specific resort recommendations
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 07:08 AM

I think either Provo or Grand Cayman would be your best bet. Just realize that both of these are rather expensive destinations. But they are among the closest to the U.S.

You might also look at Freeport on Grand Bahama. That island has some fabulous beaches and can be reached with a plane change in Fort Lauderdale.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Negril Jamaica is not "hectic" at all. I'm not sure why you think that. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Fly into Montego Bay and arrange a shuttle for the 90 mins. ride out to Negril. Look at someplace like Charela Inn or Wild Parrot (not one of the big all-inclusive resorts). Or better yet check out "the Cliffs" area, say Tensing Pen.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
KVR

I agree, Negril, Jamaica is no where near "hectic". Montego Bay would be considered more hectic. People head to Negril because it is so laid back. The locals are not as agressive in Negril as they are in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios in our experience. It will also be much less expensive than any of the above recommendations.

You also tagged Puerto Rico. That destination I would classify as "hectic". It a major metropolitian city with a very huge population which just happens to have a beach. Not all beaches in PR are considered "Turquoise water beach with white sand".

If T & C is in your budget, it's probably more of what you are looking for and probably a little less expensive to eat out than Grand Cayman.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM

San Juan may be hectic but there are parts of Puerto Rico that aren’t hectic and have turquoise beaches....they aren't as accesible as San Juan though.

How about Bermuda? It is not in the Caribbean so water temps won't be too warm but it would be perfect for a babymoon. Beautiful turquoise pink sand beaches and very relaxing/calm environment...

Also closer than the other islands…
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 05:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with TCI---just returned from our 5th vacation there at Ocean Club West. It fits all of your requirements. A big plus on our list is easy flying.
US Air--Chicago to Charlotte(one of the easiest airports in the US) then Charlotte to Provo. You'll arrive at either 12:30 or 2:30. Quick cab to the resort, you'll be on the beach that afternoon.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...nd_Caicos.html

There is also the original Ocean Club, but Ocean Club WEST is a better location.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm still really curious where the idea of Negril being "hectic" is coming from. It's about the most opposite of hectic of anyplace I've ever been.