Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

4 hours in Castries, St. Lucia what to do??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:18 PM
CMills

We have an afternoon layover at the George Charles airport in Castries. Any suggestions for how to spend our time? Maybe a relaxing late lunch with nice atmosphere?

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Nancy

Hello,<BR>You can go shopping at Pointe Seraphine, and there is a neat straw market downtown also.<BR>Don't wander into back streets too far from the center of town.<BR>I don't know if there are any decent restaurants downtown now - there were not the last time I was in Castries, but that's been a few years ago.

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:13 AM
mary

The Coal Pot in Vigie Harbor has really great food but I'm not sure if they're open for lunch. Right across the harbor if Froggy Jacks. I heard the food is good but not as good as the Coal Pot but I'd bet they're open for lunch. <BR><BR>You could take a taxi to the Caribelle Batik Factory (includes gorgeous views and gift shops) and then to Vincent Eudovic's Wood Carving studio/shop. <BR><BR>If I'm not mistaking, Pigeon Island isn't too far away and offers a great hike (technically not an island anymore), views, history, old forts, and there are two restaurants there - the Captains Cellar (really cool), and the Snouti Agouti cafe (right on the beach).

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:19 AM
CMills

Thank you to both of you for your suggestions. It has been 6 years since my last stop in Castries, I'm sure things have changed in that time. Point Seraphine was fairly new back then. I just read about the Coal Pot yesterday and now with your recommendation will probably make that our plan. Thanks again!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:28 AM
mary

CMills: I doubt you'll be disappointed. But I should add that you may want to make a reservation when you get there. The place is very quaint and right on the harbhor but it also has limited seating. If I remember correctly it's very close to the airport and should only take you a few minutes by taxi.