Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

3 days couples Caribbean getaway from FL - options?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

DH and I plan to leave the kids with grandma for a short 3 or 4 day getaway - flying from either FLL or MIA. We are looking to go December 2018. I would like some guaranteed sunshine! We both like natural beauty, beaches, good food and history. We're on a budget so I think a more expensive island like T&C or Cayman is out (looking at $1000/pp). We are looking at Nassau (although I wonder if it will be guaranteed beach weather in December?. i think the forts would be of interest to DH). We have previously been to Puerto Rico and would go back. Not really interested in all-inclusive as we like to try local cuisine. Preferably looking for a non-stop flight from either airport since we dont have a lot of time. Have never been to Montego Bay and the flights seem pretty reasonable.

Any suggestions? Even though it's "spring" I am looking out the window at freezing rain and snow in Canada and this will really cheer me up!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 09:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you choose Montego Bay Jamaica my suggestion is to head out to Negril. It's an easy and scenic 90 min. shuttle drive from the airport and has an amazing 7-mile beach or your can stay on the Cliffs on West End road. Look here to see if it might suit your wish list:
Negril Resorts, Hotels and Vacations, Negril Onestop Jamaica Resorts and Hotels
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What about US Virgin Islands - St. Thomas or St.John?
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Are STT and St. John fine to visit since the hurricane? Will also check out Negril. Is the area around Montego Bay proper not great?
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Montego Bay is a big city. I've only passed thru the airport to get to Negril... but it's no place I personally would pick for a vacation myself. There are certainly resorts there if that's what you are looking - but since you specifically said not an All Inclusive and on a lower budget I think you'd get a lot more bang for your buck in Negril. It's a very special and unique place.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jacolis
Are STT and St. John fine to visit since the hurricane?
Fine to visit now and by December, even finer!
And no freezing rain or snow...
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 07:41 AM

How about one of the bahama out islands? you can get a quick connection to several from FLL. For a short trip I would recommend Treasure Cay. Look into Bahama Beach Club (condo directly on gorgeous Treasure Cay Beach). All condos have a view of the beach. The condos a Restaurant onsite and Coco beach bar restaurant in walking distance. The beach is absolutely stunning ... and you can walk for miles in either direction. Just came back and my pics are unreal. Its quiet and laid back. For more action you can take a day trip to Green Turtle Cay - rent a golf cart and explore for the day. GCT is absolutely lovely. For 3-4 days this would be ideal. Check Dec temps online.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Tensing Pen Hotel | Boutique Destination Resort in Jamaica

Go here
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jacolis
Is the area around Montego Bay proper not great?
That's one way of putting it. There is a state of emergency in the area until beginning of May, December is a long way off from now and the situation might greatly improve but best to be aware of what's going on now in MBJ. Even if there wasn't, I would still recommend Negril over MBJ. You have the beautiful beach and the cliffs area, as already mentioned, it is a unique place with a vibe I've not experienced elsewhere in the Caribbean. There are accommodation choices for all budgets, lots of restaurants in walking distance along the beach. You can arrange a transfer from MBJ to Negril, it takes around 1.5 hrs, well worth the trip IMO.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Our plans to fly to FL over Xmas are in question so we may have to save this idea for next year. Appreciate all the input.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 04:48 AM

Didn't realize you meant Christmas! Majority of places have a 7-14 night minimum for the holidays!