Reload this Page >

3 day trip for Jan-what to do/snorkel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 07:57 AM
megan

I'm heading to Nassau for 3 days mid-Jan. Where is the best place to snorkel? Will the water/weather be too cold? What would anyone recommend I see/do to make the most of my 3 day trip? I hope the weather won't be too chilly-not sure how to dress either. Need advice/suggestions. Thanks!

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 04:26 PM
Fred

Megan,<BR><BR>There is some decent snorkeling to be had off of Paradise Island (Paradise Island is a narrow slip of land across the harbor from the town of Nassau). I have seen a lot of good fish etc near the breakwater at the west entrance to the harbor. It is a pretty good walk from the hotel zone on Paradise Island. If you are on the New Providence (Nassau) side take the water taxi across, catch it near the cruise ship dock, it is cheaper than a taxi. weather can be fickle in Nassau. If there have been cold fronts passing through the water and weather could be a bit chilly. You won't have any control over the weather so bring a rain proof pullover and a sweatshirt and you will be all right.<BR><BR>Fred Judson

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:55 AM

ttt

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Robert

Just got back from snorkeling. Rent a car and tour the island; you never know what you will see in the shallow waters off New Providence's beaches. I snorkeled the beach across from the Orchard Hill Inn, about 5 miles from the airport, and saw Bucktooth Parrotfish, Nassau Grouper, Yellow Stingrays, spiny lobster, etc. I took a Jiney to South Ocean and snorkeled with Stuart's Cove, for $44. Get a coupon in the local tourist news for $5 off this price. They took us to Goulding Cay, which was pretty, and another site named _______ Elvis Reef(?), which was even more beautiful. Then, they didn't feed sharks, but attracted them to the boat by lowering a bucket with fish parts in it, which the sharks couldn't get to. We dove in, held onto a line, and observed them from above. But, any beach along New Providence may give you some unexpected ocean creatures, including the public beaches lining West Bay Street, which are seen when coming into Nassau from the airport. Robert

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Robert

Forgot to add, packed a 4 mill wetsuit, to only, and was warm as toast in the water. Buy one at a local dive shop. Robert

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:09 AM
megan

Hey! Thanks for the snorkeling advice. Sounds like the water may be a tad chilly. Oh well. Can you recommend any other good activities to squeeze into 3 day trip to Nassau? Thanks!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Young

Drop by Atlantis to check out their huge aquariums. They have great stuff there....huge manta ray, grouper, tuna, razorhead shark, hammerhead sharks, sting rays. I am not sure if there is a charge to visit the hotel if you are not staying there.<BR><BR>We also did a trip to the Exumas islands through Powerboat Adventures. Quite costly at around $140US. The day included feeding iguana, snorkeling which wasn't so good, watching a shark feeding, and lounging/hiking on a private island inhabited by not so wild boar. Drinks and lunch were included. We enjoyed ourselves.<BR><BR>There is also an area where the locals go to eat. I think it was called Fish Fries. It is close to straw market. You can get fresh conch or grouper which was really good. At the backs of the restaurants you can see a huge dump pile of conch shells.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Young

Drop by Atlantis (on Paradise Islan) to check out their huge aquariums. They have great stuff there....huge manta ray, grouper, tuna, razorhead shark, hammerhead sharks, sting rays. I am not sure if there is a charge to visit the hotel if you are not staying there.<BR><BR>We also did a trip to the Exumas Islands (1 hour boat ride from Nassau) through Powerboat Adventures. Quite costly at around $140US. The day included feeding iguana, snorkeling which wasn't so good, watching a shark feeding, and lounging/hiking on a private island inhabited by not so wild boar. Drinks and lunch were included. We enjoyed ourselves.<BR><BR>There is also an area where the locals go to eat. I think it was called Fish Fries. It is close to straw market. You can get fresh conch or grouper which was really good. At the backs of the restaurants you can see a huge dump pile of conch shells.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Young

Drop by Atlantis (on Paradise Islan) to check out their huge aquariums. They have great stuff there....huge manta ray, grouper, tuna, razorhead shark, hammerhead sharks, sting rays. I am not sure if there is a charge to visit the hotel if you are not staying there.<BR><BR>We also did a trip to the Exumas Islands (1 hour boat ride from Nassau) through Powerboat Adventures. Quite costly at around $140US. The day included feeding iguana, snorkeling which wasn't so good, watching a shark feeding, and lounging/hiking on a private island inhabited by not so wild boar. Drinks and lunch were included. We enjoyed ourselves.<BR><BR>There is also an area where the locals go to eat. I think it was called Fish Fries. It is close to straw market. You can get fresh conch or grouper which was really good. At the backs of the restaurants you can see a huge dump pile of conch shells.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Young

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:16 PM
robert

The best conch salad, mon, is in Potter's Cay, an off touristry place of mystique. The Bahamians cut the conch and prepare it on a makeshift stand right in front of you. Robert