2 sisters need your help for Xmas

Jul 27th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

2 sisters need your help for Xmas

Hello,
My sister and I (both single, late 30's) take an annual "big" trip each Xmas (usually 12/17-12/25)--We usually go to Hawaii--used to stay at the Hyatt Regency Kauai (love the spa), but since discovering the Hapuna Beach Prince on the Big Island, we've been hooked. THIS YEAR, I would like to try the Carribean...My sister is not sure, but I'd like to present her with some good choices. Here's what we look for:

* deluxe hotel/resort (it is only once a year)
* We dont have kids, so we prefer places that don't "cater" to families and kids.
* If possible, we'd like to be able to walk/short drive to other restaurants, small shops, or interesting sights.
* great, swimable beach (we don't snorkle or dive), but since we are landlocked in Tennessee, we crave a good beach--beachside bar and food options are a big plus--we're lazy at the beach!
* activities we like: biking, water sports, working out, some spa stuff, possible a day trip to somewhere close??
* My sister definitely does not want to go somewhere where you zoom past horrible poverty in order to reach your deluxe resort.
* Friendly locals--we like to chat!
* We're not into bars/clubs--partying, just usually a good meal and maybe walking around a bit.
Ok, there you go....I have looked at Cuisinart in Anguilla--looks divine, easy to get around on the island? Also, Little Dix Bay--too secluded?? I also looked at the Royal Hideaway in Mexico, but she refuses to go--should I try and convince her??
Would love any feedback and suggestions. I'd really like to try somewhere new this year!
Thanks in advance for your help. I love this site!
J. Matteson
Jul 28th, 2004, 03:03 AM

Very similar to the Hyatt Regency Kauai would be the Four Seasons on Nevis. Quiet, slow paced but not completely remote, a volcanic island with natural beauty, friendly locals, no loud bars/discos. Although there's no where to really walk to from the Four Seasons, unless you golf, there's great golf course...for other restaurants or shopping you'd have to take a cab or rent a car. Its on the beach and is complete laid-back luxury.
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Now, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but I'm really not so sure the Caribbean is for you. (I'm just trying to save you a possible costly vacation mistake.)

The following comments gave me the clues: (Again, I'm not criticizing you - I'm trying to help.)

"I would like to try the Carribean...My sister is not sure" - Why is she not sure? Has she heard/read something that concerns her?

"My sister definitely does not want to go somewhere where you zoom past horrible poverty in order to reach your deluxe resort" - This is absolutely unavoidable on most Caribbean islands depending on what you view as poverty. My definition of poverty and yours may be completely different. Most Caribbean residents do not have fancy villa houses, and there is a serious problem on many islands with trash and debris as there is not usually a organized trash collection system. (I don't mean the islands are covered with trash - I mean you will be seeing a lot more than you are used to at home.)

CuisinArt on Anguilla and Little Dix Bay and Four Seasons Nevis (the other poster suggested) are all pretty far out and would require car rental (drive on the left) or taxis (get very expensive), and all three islands have their share of what you might think of as poverty.

Also, you might have a hard time finding space at some top resorts during Christmas.

You wrote: "I also looked at the Royal Hideaway in Mexico, but she refuses to go--should I try and convince her??"

This is one of the top resorts in Mexico (maybe in the Caribbean), and I'm confused as to why she refuses to go? Has she been hearing some misinformed person talking about Mexico being unsafe or problems with the food and water?

Here are my suggestions:

1.) Go back to Hawaii - you really enjoyed it and know you like it.
2.) Go to St Barts or Grand Cayman - both have reps for being upscale and having much less visible poverty.

Jul 28th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Aruba has no poverty, beautiful beaches, great restaurants, good shopping, and friendly people.
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. I am going to check out Aruba, and also make a stand for the Royal Hideaway. I don't know where she got this thing against Mexico. We used to live in L.A., and I think she thinks of Mexico as Tijuana or something. The resort sounds lovely.

Any other ideas? Keep 'em coming. Best-Jamie
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Just a thought, but ypu could also title your thread something like, "Hawaii, Mexico or Caribbean Islands for Christmas?" or "Is there a Caribbean Island Similar to Hawaii?" and see if you get more responses.

(Personally, I think the suggestions you have gotten so far for Aruba, Grand Cayman and St Barts are the closest you will find to Hawaii.)

Oh yes, Tijuana! The Mexican Caribbean coast is so far removed and different from Tijuana that it's hard for me to imagine it even being in the same country.

I have NEVER seen one bad word written about the Royal Hideaway, but it is also a bit further out from sights and shopping.

Good luck - planning is half of the fun!!!
Jul 29th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Diana. I'll try a different subject line. Checking out all suggestions...
best-
Jamie