Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

2 best friends on a mission for sun and fun!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend and I (both 26 years old) are trying to plan a 5-6 day trip to somewhere "tropical", most likely in the Caribbean. I'd be open to somewhere in Mexico as well, but since we live in NJ flying out of Newark, somewhere in the Caribbean would probably be an easier trip. We are not too picky in terms of lush versus arid islands, but we want a beautiful beach right outside our hotel room! We are looking to do a lot of relaxing...laying on the beach most of the day with some sightseeing/excursions but we'd also like a place that has night life. I've been to T&C and while the beach was amazing, there was not much to do after eating dinner. I was thinking about San Juan, possibly staying at the Intercontinental, but what I've been reading is that the beach there isn't that great??

Any advice/suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:59 AM

You should look into Aruba or Club Med in T&C or even Cancun. I loved all of them.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:05 AM

I'd recommend Negril, which has everything you are looking for.

While the Isla Verde area in San Juan does have the best beaches in the San Juan area, they aren't that great by Caribbean standards, primarily because they face the open Atlantic ocean. No clear blue water there at all, and the sand isn't silky soft.

Grand Cayman also has a fair amount of nightlife (certainly better than Provo), and you could stay in a hotel on Seven Mile Beach and have a great time as well.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM

I think Grand Cayman would be a good bet. It has a fabulous beach and like the previous poster said, there is a fair amount of nightlife. If you are looking to relax, Grand Cayman can deliver.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM

I vote for Negril or Playa del Carmen. Nice beach on the north side and great nightlife. It's a fun safe town. My girlfriend and I went last year and loved it so much that we are returning this year. Negril is fun too, but I love that everything is so centralized in Playa and we felt so safe. For AI, I would recommend Royal Playa del Carmen. Non AI, La Tortuga (not on the beach) Playa Maya is basic, but nice, Shangri La has bungalos on the beach and will be closing in about a year. It includes 2 meals, so you have options to try restaurants.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM

Negril or the Yucatan though I do think the Yucatan will have more AIs that attract your age group and are not couples. Lots of adult only places there.

Negril has the best beach IMO but if nightlife is a priority you might have more fun in Mexico.

Check out the RUIs for adults only and the Royal PDC.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, thanks for all of your suggestions! I originally posted that my friend and I live in NJ, but she actually moved out to Ohio with family a few months ago. That being said, it would be logistically easier if she could fly from Cleveland and meet me in Newark, and from there on to our destination somewhere in the Caribbean. Playa del Carmen looks amazing though, but I'd rather not have to deal with each of us flying alone to Mexico and then having to find each other in the airport!

Anyway, I've been some more research based on your suggestions and have even more questions.

San Juan: The only resort that seems to be an option for various reasons and based on reviews would be Intercontinental. My co-worker who is Puerto Rican said that the El San Juan next door has a lot going on, but seeing some reviews about bed bugs has kind of scared me away and I'd rather not take the chance!

Negril: How true is the usual advice not to leave the resort? Does this apply to Jamaica as a whole or just certain areas? Any resorts you would recommend? I don't mind whether it's all-inclusive or not.

Grand Cayman: Is it that much more expensive than the rest of the Caribbean? I don't travel too often so I don't mind spending a fair amount of money, but not if I could go to a comparable island for less! Which resorts would be the best in terms of beach and location to restaurants/bars? The Westin or Grand Cayman Beach Suites seem to get good reviews. The Marriot looks nice as well but the beach looks very narrow. Also, how is this area in terms of cruise traffic?

Aruba: Both my parents and sister/brother-in law are going there this summer (at separate times) and I'd rather go somewhere different...as silly as that sounds. If not, I might as well go with one of them and try to get some free meals out of the deal.

Thanks again!