1st Class on Air Jamaica? Any experiences?

Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:04 AM
Betsyjj

1st Class on Air Jamaica? Any experiences?

My husband and I will be flying on Air Jamaica, 1st class, to Jamaica and Grenada (End of Sept.'02, we treated ourselves for our honeymoon!!!). I would like to hear about anybody's experiences w/ First class on this airline. (I've already read the mostly negative thread re: Air J... it doesn't bother me- I've had good and bad flights myself. Anyway, I welcome all advice, opinions etc. Thank You.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Paul

Betsy;

We've flown AJ many times and never had any problems(maybe we've been lucky who knows) We also have gotten in the habit of flying 1st class to Jamaica as it really worth it in our estimation.
The 1st class lounge at the Mobay airport is great and very comfortable should any flights be delayed. They also wait to board you last after everyone else is boarded and thus you just walk on and take off. Service and meals in flight have also been very good. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
Congrads on your marriage!!

Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:08 PM
Betsy

Paul: Thank you for the response, and for reminding me about the lounge at Mobay Airport. (I would not have thought that the island airports have lounges for 1st class passengers. Doug and I also feel it is worth it, especially since we fly out from the west coast, so that in itself makes for a long trip just to get to the Caribbean!!!
If Paul is reading this, or anyone, are the AJ first class seats comfortable, and do they recline more than in coach? IS it possible to feel almost as if you are lying down?
AS ALWAYS, THANK YOU.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:06 AM
Betsy

Sorry Besty.......as I recall those seats don't recline a whole lot more than the regular coach seats. What they do offer however is much more width as well as a lot more leg room.
Having said that, request not to be in the last row of 1st class as those seats DO NOT recline as much as the other. (because of the wall behind them)
Have fun!

Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Betsy

Sorry Besty.......as I recall those seats don't recline a whole lot more than the regular coach seats. What they do offer however is much more width as well as a lot more leg room.
Having said that, request not to be in the last row of 1st class as those seats DO NOT recline as much as the other. (because of the wall behind them)
Have fun!

Jul 16th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Betsy

Just thought I would see if I could get a few more responses. Any one else been
on AJ first class??? Many many thanks

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Tracy

I have flown thru Mobay twice on AJ and both times I have thanked my lucky stars I was in 1st class. AJ probably has one of the worst on time records. Last summer I was stuck in Mobay airport for 6 hours and was really comfortable in the 1st class lounge. A few weeks ago I was there again - only 1 1/2 hours delayed - but it is nice to get a drink - sit on a big comfortable leather sofa and watch t.v. I found the first class seats to be extremely comfortable and the food was much better than you get in coach. In my experience - 1st class on AJ is worth it if only to have the lounge if not the extra leg room. The attendants are extremely attentive.

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:24 PM
michelle

My husband and I went to Jamaica in 1998. At that time they had a promotion where you could upgrade to first class for $200pp each way. We decided to upgrade in Philly on our way to Jamaica and asked in Philly if we could decide later on the upgrade for our way back. The counter person in Philly said that it would be no problem to upgrade later.
First class was great, but we had problems trying to upgrade in Jamaica for our return flight. They said that the promotion was only valid in the US and even though they had first class seats available, they would not sell us upgrades at the advertised price.

Jul 18th, 2002, 01:35 PM
amy

Betsy -
My husband and I were lucky enough to fly first class to Jamaica in 3/00 for our honeymoon. It was a wonderful trip and the flight attendants could not have been nicer. The food was great and so were the mimosas. As far comfortableness goes, I thought it was very comfortable and my husband was asleep before we even took off. I hope and think you will be very pleased. As you said you can have good and bad flights, just have a positive attitude and a wonderful honeymoon! Congrats!!