1 year Anniversary

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:51 PM
anniversary

1 year Anniversary

I was married in October of last year and honeymooned in Antigua. We are looking for an island to visit this October for our first anniversary. While we loved Antigua (still considering returning), we were thinking of trying something different. What island would be good that would be out of the hurricane belt in the beginning of October? I do not want Aruba, as it is too "Americanized" and a great beach is a must! Nightlife, excursions, etc. not a priority. When we are on vacation, we do nothing but "veg out" for a week.

Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:06 PM
suggestions

Its a hit and miss with October and the Caribbean. I would suggest that you try something in the southern Caribbean. Barbados for example or Grenada. The latter is fast becoming a very popular destination. The hotel La Source has been mentioned quite a bit on this forum (do a text search) as being a great hotel for honeymooners. And Grenada historically has been very lucky as far as hurricanes go because it is quite far south and closer to Trinidad which is not known for hurricanes. It also boasts some great beaches and great restaurants. Barbados has great beaches generally, and lots of hotels on the south and west coast to chose from from the luxury (Sandy Lane) to the very simple and also lots of restaurants with varied menus. Barbados is really a fun island in my books and you can veg out if you chose to or be on the go all the time because there is quite a bit to see and do there. It is not as much out of the hurricane belt as Grenada is but again, the islands to the north tend to fare far worst. Hope this is helpful.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:37 PM
anniversary

That was very helpful, thank you. What would be a good resort in Barbados or Grenada?? Reasonably priced

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:55 PM
Kristin

We went to Tobago for our first anniversary and loved it! You can dive, snorkel, birdwatch (well worth going even if it's not your thing). Great food, friendly people. It's a bit of a pain to get to.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:21 PM
GM

Congratulations! Our anniversary is in October also - wonderful wedding photos we have with the changing foliage...

ANYWAY, I can think of 2 resorts that are reasonably priced for Grenada and Barbados.

1. Allamanda Beach Resort and Spa, Grenada - a nice property, and there are dive packages if you do that (there's honeymoon pkgs also; you could maybe get that advising this is your 1 yr anniv.). It is located on Anse Beach, one of the best in Grenada.

2. Southern Palms Resort, Barbados - is located in the St. Lawrence Gap in Christ Church, where the great beach, restaurants and nightlife are also. There's 2 pools and right on the beach.

Check out the website for each of the above; either Island I know you will enjoy.

Hope this helps.