Reload this Page >

1 day in Antigua, St. Lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:17 AM
tamara

Hi--<BR>We're going on a cruise next week. Two of the stops are in Antigua and St. Lucia. We aren't interested in the shore excursions at these islands. I'm hoping someone will have some ideas-- if you had one day on St. Lucia or Antigua, what would you do? We are in our 30s, love to snorkel and go to the beach, and also like to go shopping if it's not a flea market. Thanks!<BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Tiffany

Tamara - I have not been to St. Lucia but I just returned from Antigua a month ago on my weddingmoon. Antigua is great for beach goers. The sand is soft like powder and the water is a beautiful aquamarine color and very calm. We did some snorkeling right off the shore from our resort although it was our first time, so I have nothing to compare it to! The shopping in St. John's typically island shopping.<BR><BR>St. Lucia is known more for it's tropical climate and rainforests than for it's beaches. If you are looking for a day at the beach, Antigua is the way to go. Enjoy your vacation!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Tamara

Tiffany,<BR>Can you recommend a specific beach? Thanks!<BR>Tamara

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:55 AM
xxx

Tamara, I am glad you asked this question because I was also wondering since out ship stops at these 2 ports also. I also think Antigua is the best beach spot, I went to a beach in St. Lucia once and it was just o.k. Nothing great. I notice on the ship excursions they have one to a beach from Antigua at $40.00 pp. I thought this was somewhat high. My question is from anyone is this the safest and only way to do the beach if we are on a cruise ship?? I think it was for 5 hours as I recall and included chairs, a drink, and a boxed lunch from the ship. (big deal.)I am unsure I think it is a great value for the money. Thanks.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:40 AM
tamara

Well, in answer to your question-- personally I think that cost is a bit high. $80 for a trip to the beach? We went on our first cruise last year (RCCL) and felt ripped off when we paid for the beach trips. We didn't know any better beforehand. One of the things we foolishly paid for was $12 each for a floating mat! You can pay a taxi and go to the beach for essentially much less money, so I'm trying to find out which beaches are close enough to the port and also worth the trip. What cruise are you taking? We are on Celebrity Constellation, 11/23-30.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:34 PM
xxx

It is Royal Caribbean 1/25/03. Yes I think that is outrageous and most of there &quot;tours&quot; are about 3 hours long. The ship is there all day. I am going to find another alternative than these tours. That is all we are interested in also, is the beach. My husband scuba dives and maybe he would like to go on one of those trips which is fine, at least you are getting something for your money but a trip to the beach for $80.00 is outrageous. I hope some people respond about alternatives such as Taxi's. I went once before on a cruise, and as I recall there are many locals as soon as you get off that offer to take you wherever you want. Have fun and enjoy.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Tiffany

Tamara - I didn't get out and see any other beaches than the one my resort was on. We stayed at Sandals which is located on Dickenson Bay. It is a great beach that is set up like a cove so the water is very calm. The sand is soft like powder and the water is beautiful! They also have jet ski's, sailing (catamarans), parasailing...pretty much any watersport you can think of available next door to Sandals, if you're interested. I'm sure any beach would be great though.<BR><BR>I personally wouldn't pay to go to the beach in Antigua. All the beaches there are public, so they are open to anyone. I would just hop in a cab and tell them where you want to go. Enjoy your vacation!