YWCA Hotel in Vancouver

Mar 18th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Vanessa

YWCA Hotel in Vancouver

Can anyone comment on the the YWCA Hotel in Vancouver? I understand it's very close to GM Place which is the venue I'm interested in. Thanks.

Mar 18th, 2000, 10:20 PM
sheri

It's a great budget choice--clean and not too institutional looking, for a Y! And yes, it's very close to GM Place.

Mar 20th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Lid

I stayed at the Y for one night and felt like I was staying in a hospital. It wasn't cheap either I think I paid around $90.00 in August. The Sandman Hotel is basically across the street from GM Place that might be another option.

Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:24 PM
Vanessa

Thanks for the input.

I should have also asked if there is a restaurant on site. If so, how was the food?

Apr 4th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Lid

Hi

Do you mean at the Y or the Sandman? I don't know remember about the Y, i wasn't looking for one, so didn't notice. The Sandman has a bar in it. I think its technically considered a sports bar called The Shark Club. I've eaten there quite a few times and the food is decent more than just a burger and fries menu.

Apr 4th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Vanessa

I meant the Y but it's good to know the Sandman has a restaurant since you mentioned it's close by. Thanks.

May 25th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Sheila

I spent one night at the Y and did not find it to be clean. I had to ask for fresh pillow cases as the ones on the grungy looking pillow looked grey and unlaundered. The response of the staff was "well this is the Y, it is pretty basic."
I did not find it cheap at over $100 per night. The following day I checked into the Georgian Court next door for only $25 a day more and it was excellent, well worth spending the extra money to stay in a relaxing environment without being hassled by weirdos which the Y seems to attract.

The Georgian has a good restaurant and there is a cafe round the corner off Beatty that sells nice pastries and coffee for a light breakfast, but you would do better to have the buffet breakfast at the Georgian restaurant.

I can't think of any reason to commend the Y.

May 25th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Robyn

I'd suggest checking out hostel options too. Downtown Vancouver's quite small, and you can get to GM Place within a short walk from anywhere. You can walk across downtown in 20 minutes.

The Cambie Hostel on Seymour Street is clean, and cheap ($20 CND) and only down the road from GM Place. It's also located in the city's business district and down the street from funky cafes, restaurants, international colleges, shopping, etc. I've been in that hostel before, and was impressed (had hard wood floors, free bedding, small rooms).
http://www.cambiehostels.com

Also look into the Hostelling International Vancouver (Downtown) hostel - http://www.hihostels.bc.ca/mainvancouver.htm - It's the best hostel in the city and has been rated one of the best hostels in Canada.

And about restaurants, there are literally hundreds of restaurants all over downtown Vancouver - you won't have to limit yourself to that of the hotel/hostel.