YNP to Jasper, Alberta and return

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I (age 72) are spending 2 weeks (9/12-9/26) going from YNP to GNP,CALGARYG,BANFF,LL and Jasper. Flying into Jackson, pickup rental car and head toward YNP.Spend at least 1 nite in YNP, want to spend 4 nites total around YNP area, maybe 3 nites at end of trip. AAA has us routed up west side thru Butte and return east side thru Helena. Will have 12 nites to spend in Banff/LL area, Jasper, etc.. We would appreciate suggetions on places to stay(max$160), reasonable places to eat($10/20)and things to do or see. Currently planning to see Icefields, GNP,GTSR,Running Eagle Falls, Lakes Moraine, Louise,Maligne,Peyto, and Meninewanka, take Banff Gondola ride and visit 1 or 2 Hot Springs. Q: Should we buy annual Park Pass? 2. Should we consider B&B? Note: we are in reasonably good health, love scenic views, short easy hikes(2miles rd trip). Thanks in advance
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:31 PM

I am not an expert at all on lodging and such in the Banff/LL area, Judi will help you there, but I must say that you seem to have an aggressive agenda for only two weeks.

The state of Montana is huge and there is a lot to see from Jackson Hole to YNP to Glacier and then to Banff, this is not a one day drive, in fact from YNP to GNP or Waterton, I would say is a long days drive. After that, you are looking at another day just to get to Banff and to enjoy the scenery in between.

You didn't say if you were arriving and leaving both from Jackson, if so, you have a lot of driving to factor into your two weeks.

Could you be more clear on your arrival and departure areas?

Also, if you want to spend 4 days (1 at the beginning and 3 at the end in YNP), not factoring in your driving times, you will only have 10 days total to get to Banff/Jasper and to tour.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Arriving and leaving from Jackson. Days in YNP area not concreted in. We have been to Yellowstone before. We thought we could rest before flying home. We planned to spend a nite around GNP before heading to Banff. Wasn't planning to spend much time sightseeing In Montana or Wyoming except YNP, unless we have time. Sorry about not giving more info. AAA says around 2000 miles not counting scenic drives. This is why we wanted to head toward Jasper and judge time accordingly. Thanks for reply.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM

You need one day to drive from the west side of Glacier National Park, up the west side of the Canadian Rockies (through Cranbrook, Invermere and Radium) to Lake Louise.

You need AT LEAST one day to see Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, Takakkaw Falls and Emerald Lake.

You need one day to drive up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

You need AT LEAST one day in the Jasper area.

Miette Hot Springs in Jasper National Park are the nicest of the commercially developed hot springs in the Canadian Rockies. If you want to go there, you should allow a second day in the Jasper area.

You need a day to drive from Jasper back to Lake Louise and on to Banff or Canmore. Do not consider it a waste to drive the Icefields Parkway twice. The scenery looks different when it's viewed from the opposite direction.

It would be nice to have a full day in the Banff area, not counting the day you had spent driving from Jasper to Banff.

You need a day to drive from Banff to the east side of Glacier National Park. However, it would be nice to stop for the night in Waterton Lakes National Park, before you reached Glacier National Park. Waterton Lakes National Park is in the southwestern corner of the province of Alberta (In which Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper also are situated), and it borders on Montana's Glacier National Park. (There is an unrelated Glacier National Park in Canada's province of British Columbia.)

Okay, so you would need a MINIMUM of 6 days to drive from the west side of Glacier National Park, up to Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff, and back down the east side of the Canadian Rockies to Glacier National Park.

However, I feel it would be better to do this stretch of the journey over 9 days. Doing it in 6 days would be VERY rushed.

If you want to add a day here or a day there to the basic 6 days, this is the order in which I would add them:

(1) If you can spare only one extra day, I would insert the stop in Waterton Lakes National Park.

(2) If you can spare a second extra day, I would spend a third night in Jasper.

(3) If you can spare a third extra day, I would spend a second night in Banff or Canmore.

This message is getting pretty long, so I will continue in another post.

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM

KANANASKIS COUNTRY AND THE COWBOY TRAIL

I don't know what route AAA has given you from Banff to Helena.

Most of the computer mapping programs, which provide the shortest route rather than the most scenic one, would have you going east to Calgary and from there south to the Canada-USA border.

There is a much more charming route.

Go east from Banff on the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1).

When you see the turn off to Hwy #40, turn south and drive through Kananaskis Country.

In the vicinity of the Highwood Pass, the road will veer east and take you to the small town of Longview (a good place to stop for lunch -- pick any restaurant -- Longview has surprisingly good restaurants for such a small town).

At Longview turn south onto Hwy #22 (also known as the Cowboy Trail). This takes you through the eastern foothills of the Rockies.

When Hwy #22 intersections with the Crowsnest Highway (Hwy #3), turn east.

Shortyly afterwards, turn south onto Hwy #6, drive through the small town of Pincher Creek, and continue to Waterton Lakes National Park.

Next installment in next post.......

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM

NATIONAL PARKS PASS FOR CANADA

Whether or not you should buy an annual pass depends on how many days you'll spend in the national parks.

You reach the break-even point when you've spent 7 days in the parks. That is, if you spend 6 days, it's cheaper to buy a pass for the exact number of days. If you spend 7 or more days, it's more economical to buy an annual pass.

They have an odd way of counting days, which works in your favour. The first day is counted from the time that you enter your first Canadian National Park until 4.00 p.m. of the following day.

You probably will pass through 5 Canadian national parks on this trip : Kootenay, Banff, Yoho, Jasper and Waterton Lakes National Parks.

See this page of my website for more info about national park entry fees:

http://tinyurl.com/2l8lqu
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:48 PM

WHAT TO PACK

If you've been to Yellowstone National Park, you're probably familiar with mountain weather. Nonetheless, I suggest you read this page of my website:

http://tinyurl.com/npoh2

In September it's possible to encounter an overnight dusting of snow in the Canadian Rockies. At that time of year the snow typically doe not last for long once the sun comes out.

All the same, you should beef up the summer packing list a little. I would add another sweater, a pair of gloves, and a warm hat.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM

GOING TO THE SUN ROAD

I have heard some reports about road works taking place on the Going to the Sun Road. It's probably a good idea to research that (probably on Fodor's United States forum).
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM

SIGHT SEEING IN THE CANADIAN ROCKIES

I suggest you read the sample itineraries on my website. They repeatedly mention the "must see" attractions:

http://tinyurl.com/35jzr8
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM

ACCOMMODATION

<b>Lake Louise</b>

Lake Louise is in a very scenic location, but it's a small hamlet with a limited stock of accommodation. The places that probably are within your price range are Mountaineer Lodge and Lake Louise Inn. Also check out the B&amp;Bs in the nearby hamlet of Field, British Columbia.

<b>Jasper</b>

This town has some excellent private home accommodations (PHAs) -- similar to B&amp;Bs, but usually without breakfast, although several of them have kitchens that enable you to self-cater your breakfasts.

If you want to stay in a PHA in Jasper, you can search this website:

http://www.stayinjasper.com/showinns.asp

I recommend that you steer clear of Jasper East and even more particularly of Hinton, as they are too far away to serve as convenient bases if you're on a short visit to Jasper.

<b>Banff / Canmore</b>

In Banff I have heard good reports of Banff Avenue B&amp;B.

There also are many B&amp;Bs in Canmore, 15 minutes' drive east of Banff townsite. You can find a listing of Canmore's B&amp;Bs here:

http://www.bbcanmore.com/

If you don't want to stay in a B&amp;B in the Banff / Canmore area, and want a hotel or motel, but a reasonably priced one, you might consider Drake Inn or Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge in Canmore.

<b>Waterton</b>

If you choose to spend a night in Waterton, consider staying at Crandell Mountain Lodge or Northland Lodge.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM

RETAURANTS

<b>Lake Louise area</b>

*Bill Peyto's Restaurant, adjacent to the hostel in Lake Louise village, provides good value for money.

*Baker Creek Bistro, which is part of the Baker Creek Chalets complex, about 20 minutes' drive outside of Lake Louise village, is a nice restaurant.

*The Station Restaurant, in Lake Louise's old train station, is cute.

*There is a good restaurant at Moraine Lake.

*The retaurant at Deer Lodge, a stone's throw from the lake of Lake Louise, is very nice, but rather on the expensive side.

*There are a number of restaurants, all the way from casual to high end, at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

*A restaurant that is considered to be one of the best, if not THE best, in the Canadian Rockies is the restaurant in the Post Hotel in Lake Louise Village. But it is very expensive.

*In the hamlet of Field, BC (in nearby Yoho National Park), there is a cute and really &quot;different&quot; little cafe called Truffle Pigs.

Hmmm....... I just re-read your $10/20 spending limit on dinner. You're probably best off eating at a more expensive restaurant, like the one at Moraine Lake or Deer Lodge, at lunch time, when the menus are more reasonably priced. Then, at dinnertime, when prices typically go up, dine at Bill Peyto's. I think you would be able to find a meal in that price range at Baker Creek Bistro too.

<b>Jasper</b>

If you like Greek / Italian restaurants, try Something Else or the Palisades.

Other restaurants that fall in your desired price range include Cantonese Restaurant (Chinese), Kimchi House (Korean), and Denjiro (Japanese).

Bear's Paw Bakery is a great place to pick up stuff for a picnic lunch. People will almost walk barefooted over broken glass to get to Bear's Paw Bakery.

<b>Banff / Canmore</b>

I suggets Taxi Mike's website. His recommendations are SPOT ON:

http://www.taximike.com/

<b>Waterton</b>

*New Frank's Restaurant (very plain decor, but good tasting and inexpensive Chinese and American food)

*Pizza of Waterton (a casual and inexpensive restaurant)

*Lamp Post Dining Room at Kilmorey Lodge. At $20 - $30, it's outside of your stated price range, but is worthy of mention. They serve standard restaurant fare, but also serve game meat.

Well, RonM, I think you're just about set for the Canadian part of your trip. Hope you have a good time.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:02 AM

marking for my trip
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Judy, you made our day. Thanks, also to Catsmom. I will digest and visit your recommended sites. I will print your replies and take with us. I will get back if I need more info. I feel you have given me most of the data we need for a great trip. We won't mine going over $20(a guesstimate)for dinner some nights, we always eat in places people recommend repeatedly on web site. I will post a report when we return. Thanks again. Ron
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM

When I first read this post, the route made entirely no sense to me. In my mind I read &quot;Yoho National Park&quot; not &quot;Yellowstone National Park&quot; for YNP.

It all makes so much more sense now.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Update. We decided to go up E-side of YNP, Jackson to Gardiner,Boseman,Great Falls,Calgary, Banff, LL,to Jasper.Spend 2 nts in Jasper, head back down Icefieldss to Banff area (5-6nts). Need info on lodging between Boseman &amp; Helena, Shelby and Calgary and Banff area, B&amp;B's ok. We have received plenty of info and times frames for scenery,etc. We appreciate all the help. If someone knows a good B&amp;B between Jackson and Moran Jct, we would appreciate the help. Thanks again.