Yankee needs help with Montreal trip

Dec 30th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Zorro

Yankee needs help with Montreal trip

My wife and I are planning a trip to Montreal and Quebec City next summer. We also enjoy exploring by car and finding small, quaint villages. (1) Is Halifax N.S. worth the detour? (2) Are there any interesting villages between Halifax-Quebec & Quebec City - Montreal, or should we save our vacation days for touring these two cities? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 30th, 2002, 05:48 PM
XXXX

It sure is especially if you consider 1000 KM's a detour. There are many interesting villages in between these two areas, some that even have hydro, but usually just the large cities usually with a population of over 25 people. Have fun - Halifax, Quebec is a blast, but watch out because you never know when you are going to get snowed in - so bring some longjohns.

Dec 31st, 2002, 05:44 AM
x

It snows in the summer?

Dec 31st, 2002, 07:01 AM
didn't

Didn't you know that Canadians have constant Winter? We live in igloos and log johns are part of our life. Be prepared - you might get snowed in!

Dec 31st, 2002, 07:02 AM
didn't

I meant LONG johns...oops

Dec 31st, 2002, 07:30 AM
curiousx

I have posted below the URL for the Quebec Tourism Bureau. It really is an excellent site.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais/

Unless you are planning to spend more than a couple of weeks in Canada, I really would not suggest trying to do the provinces of Quebec and Nova Scotia at the same time. Both are worth their own special visit.

Since you seem to like driving (!), I suggest you consider also the beautiful Quebec regions of Charlevoix and Gaspésie as well as the Eastern Townships.

Dec 31st, 2002, 08:47 AM
Brian Kilgore

It's a very, very long day's drive from Quebec City to Halifax, allowing no time for sightseeing.

Chances are pretty good that the drive would be too long, for the benefits you would get. But it depends on how many days you are setting aside for your trip. For a week, Montreal and Quebec are tight. For two weeks, they are fine. For three weeks, add in a trip to Halifax, stopping in New Brunswick on the way.

If you haven't been to Canada before and have a couple of extra days, heading west from Montreal to Ottawa would be a better bet. It's only a drive of a couple of hours, and Ottawa's full of interesting tourist sights.

But, assuming Montreal and QC are your destinations, and you have a car. Drive in a circle, from Montreal down south-east of Montreal toward Sherbrooke and the area called the Eastern Townships, and sepnd a couple of days in the samll stowns there,and then go up to Quebec City. While based in Que3bec City, take a day to visit Montmorency Falls on the north shore of the St. Lawrence, and another day to explore the south shore, east of queec City. You can do this south shore visit in a day, returning to QC in the evening.

To get back to Montreal, you could follow the north shore of the St. Lawrence, seeing more small Quebec towns and villages, plus the city of Trois Rivieres. There are interesting towns north of both Montreal and QC, too.

Enjoy your visit.

BAK