Search

World travel insurance scenarios

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before purchasing World Travel insurance, I would like to know from policy holders currently traveling or with extensive travel insurance experience, if the following two scenarios would be covered by insurance companies specializing in international "world travel" insurance.

I have checked and I do have valid British Columbian, Canadian health insurance, as well as an active Care card with me as I travel.

> Just so I know Travel insurance is right for me, I would like to
> present you with 2 scenarios. I'd appreciate you telling me if it's
> covered or not. Thanks.
>
>
> My ipod, passport (visa), and digital camera are stored together in
> my > fanny pack, beside me at an outdoor eating area in front of Costco in
> Merida, Mexico. Because I am eating, I have detached the pack from
> my belt, and it's resting on the seat next to me. I have it in my sight.
>
> During my meal, a man comes up to me and says something in Spanish,
> and I do not understand. I ask him to repeat it, even attempting to
> speak Spanish with him. Later, I find out he was attempting to distract me
> while his accomplice made off with my pack (and in it, near to $750
> worth of personal belongings).
>
> I don't notice what's happened until several minutes after, because
> my head was turned speaking to the man attempting to distract me. When
> I do realize what's happened, it's far too late. The accomplice, with
> his quick hands has ran off with my pack, and in my daze, so has the distracting man.
>
> I have lost everything.
>
> Scenario 2:
>
>
> I am accidently struck in the face with a billiard bill at a pool
> hall > in Shanghai, China. My right front tooth is chipped, leaving me in
> momentary pain. There is no permenant nerve damage, but my smile is
> slightly altered. It costs several hundred dollars for a crown to reshape the chipped tooth.

These problems occured when I wasn't insured. Assuming I was, would they be covered? Who would cover them best? Who should I sign with?

Thx
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM

We always carry travel medical insurance but thank goodness we have never had to use it. I can speak to the stolen camera though. When we were returning from an Antarctic cruise we checked our baggage in with Air Canada in Santiago Chile. When we got home we found that the bags had been opened a a lot of items were missing. Our home insurance covered the loss with no problems whatsoever. I just told them I had reported it to Air Canada and they didn't require anything further. We were subject to the deductible and that was it. They had us shop for new items and submit the bills. We were fully reembursed (after the deductible) So with your scenarios one is medical the other is home insurance.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Scenario 1. The visa I use to book travel covers me up to $2,000 in stolen property.
Scenario 2. BC med does not cover crowns in BC, only oral surgery, so it will not cover a crown in Shanghai. Buy travel medical insurance.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:57 PM

I usually buy travel insurance with either my home/car company or with my bank so there is some carryover and complement for coverage. The rates can also be better for a current customer.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Do you have extended/out of country medical coverage from an employee benefit plan? My plan does and so I don't have to worry about travel medical insurance.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I am confused more now than before. I am not returning to BC, and no I don't have employment in BC, so no extended. And I don't have any other kind of insurance except life insurance, which doesn't apply to travel. Also, why would I buy travel insurance if it doesn't cover something important like dental surgery, regardless of where I am. I am not convinced travel insurance is for me, because it costs $600/year, and the two scenarios occurred within a 28month period, and the costs were below $1200. Unless I have guaranteed that these types of scenarios are covered, it may become a waste of money. The last I need is a rejected travel insurance claim.

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Sandy,

As with all types of insurance (home, auto, travel, medical) coverage and costs vary across companies, policy type, deductible amounts, insurer etc.

My best advice is to look closely at the insurance policy you are considering as to what it covers and if it's worth the cost to you. If you are unsure what the policy covers, ask the company and get the answers in writing.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM

The purpose of travel insurance is to cover you if you were suddenly taken ill or had an accident etc. Dental surgery would be the least of my worries if I ended up in an emergency ward in the United States after an accident of any sort (falling and breaking a bone, car accident etc.) The purpose of the insurance is to give you peace of mind should anything like that happened to you - and it happens to people everyday - young and old. If you were involved in some kind of accident where your teeth, jaw etc were involved then the surgery would be covered under most policies.