Work in Vancouver Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2003, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hola! Our new dream is to move to and work in Vancouver Island, specifically Comox Valley or Nanaimo (to be as close as possible to Mt. Washington for skiing). Could any of you Kindly offer advice on feasibility of opening a "successful" new "ethnic" restaurant in these 2 locations?

Or, can you suggest a site/forum that would be better suited to answer questions related to this? THANK YOU.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh come on, sooommmeboodyyy please help! Our goal is to live/work in a peaceful and beautiful "ski-country" type of city, on the smallish side.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:26 AM

I really don't know but it seemed to me that the Courtenay area had some of the more interesting restaurants on the island so that might be a good place to try.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Tks April. But..., were they full? Are they very "seasonal"?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 01:45 PM

I am the wrong person to ask as I know nothing about the restaurant business, I don't live in Courtenay and haven't even been there recently.

I think of Victoria restaurants as more seasonal because so many serve up mediocre food at inflated prices to tourists and then sit largely empty in the winter. Courtenay's restaurants, whether the serve-yourself type, funky style, pub or dining room seemed fairly busy any time that I was there, at various times of year. Even the Old House Restaurant, with its inconsistencies, apparently keeps running.

My Mother lived in Courtenay and the place always seemed, to me anyway, to have a good feeling about it. I don't get the same feeling about Nanaimo but there are likeable spots in between. I'm just throwing out thoughts here because no one else has answered, so please keep in mind this is just one person's opinion. Maybe someone from the region will answer.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

April, gracias again! Yes I do hope somebody from that specific region (COMOX VALLEY/Courtenay) can offer advise on living/opening a restaurant there. I have received some advice from a person that works at Mt. Washington, with great comments about living, but still no real gutsy information on the feasibility of a "new" restaurant or cafe there.

Thanks again.