Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Windsor, Toronto, and on to Montreal ideas

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the off chance that Canada will let us in, we are planning a driving itinerary for about a week between 2 scheduled events- a reunion at Lake Michigan Aug 19-22 and a stay over long Labor Day weekend at lake in New Hampshire. Thought wed take time between and see some of lower Canada (if I turns out to be possible), where weve spent next to no time. We are retired well travelled urbanites (DC), so enjoy city stays, arts, culture, but also nature, birds. Just throwing this out there to get some ideas. Thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 11:48 PM

Toronto is worth 3 days, Montreal is worth 3 days. Ottawa is worth 1 day, maybe 2 if you really like museums.

With only a week, I'm not sure if you could fit in anymore than that. If you want more detailed recommendations let me know.

Last edited by SirhanTheStrong; Jul 18th, 2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 08:35 AM

Also by "lower Canada" I'm assuming you mean Southern Ontario? "Lower Canada" is the historic name for Quebec, and is still sometimes used to refer to it today, and using that term to refer to something else will likely confuse people here.

My recs: (I can't guarantee that anything I've listed here, especially stuff outside of Montreal, will be open due to Covid restrictions)

Toronto: (Atleast 3 Days)
-Art Gallery of Ontario
-CN Tower
-Ripleys Aquarium
-St Lawrence Market
-Distillery District
-Evergreen Brick Works
-Toronto Zoo
-Royal Ontario Museum
-Winter Garden Theatre (I haven't checked, but presumably closed for the season)
-Casa Loma

Ottawa: (1-2 Days)
-Parliament Hill (Guided tours of the inside are suspended for the Summer and probably into the Fall as well, but you can still look at it from the outside)
-National Gallery
-Canadian Museum of History

Montreal: (Atleast 3 Days)
-Basilique Notre-Dame (Most impressive cathedral north of Mexico. Currently closed for tourists, but it might be open again by the time y'all visit)
-MBAM (Museum of Fine Arts)
-Pointe-a-Calliere (Museum of Archeology and History)
-Jean-Talon Market
-Oratoire St-Joseph
-Biodome (I've been trying to go all spring, but since Covid, it requires advance reservations and it gets fully booked 2-3 weeks in advance. It was closed for renovations for 5 years and just reopened this winter, so there's huge demand from locals right now)
-Jardin Botanique
-Parc Mont-Royal

Daytrip from Montreal:
-Hiking in Mont-Tremblant

I think all of the museums alongside the Montreal Botanical Garden and Toronto Zoo technically require advance reservations, but other than the Biodome, getting a reservation in the morning for later that day hasn't so far been an issue, especially on weekdays. I guess that could change if we see more tourists, however.

Last edited by SirhanTheStrong; Jul 19th, 2021 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 09:43 AM

If you have any interest in theater, Stratford Ontario has a beautiful festival with world class shows. This summer the program is much abbreviated and I believe the shows only outdoors under tents. But in "regular" times it is a delightful little city with lovely B&Bs and great restaurants. Here is link to festival www.stratfordfestival.ca
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 01:20 PM

Nature & birds. OP Glover, if in Toronto, don't miss the Leslie Spit, with its Tommy Thompson park.
I am done. the end.