Will my cell phone work in Canada?

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:26 PM
hrc

Will my cell phone work in Canada?

It just occured to me that I don't know whether an "American" cell phone will be usable calling from Canada.( I've called into Canada using it.)
Can anyone help?

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM
jode

We were in Montreal and Quebec in early July and my cousin had no problems using her cell phone to call her children in Massachusetts. Am not sure of the charges with the roaming rates but she was able to place the calls.

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:09 PM
klam

It could depend on who your provider is as to whether they have roaming rights on the Cdn network.

We use Sprint PCS and I have been able to get a signal (digital or analog roam) in Vancouver and Montreal, with no problems.

I'd call your provider to confirm.

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:34 PM
dave

I was able to use my Voicestream phone in Toronto this May.

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Louis

AT&T works fine in Montreal.

Jul 16th, 2002, 02:27 PM
h

I've got Verizon, so if anyone's had experience with them, please post.
Thanks

Jul 16th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Robyn

I'm no expert, but I believe American and Canadian cell phones use the same frequency - it will work. If you have a European, Asian, Australian cell phone - then you'll have problems... but in my experience, if your cell phone is from North America, it will work in both countries.

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:47 PM
michele

I've used my Spring digital in Canada just as I do in the US, with no additional charges. It worked in Vancouver and on up into Whistler.

Jul 16th, 2002, 10:12 PM
w

I'm from Toronto and was in Rochester, NY the other week, my cell wouldn't work there.

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:46 AM
craig

I have Verizon and was able to call from the middle of nowhere on Prince Edward Island (we were trying to locate a local artist at her home). Because we were in Canada, we had to pay extra roaming charges but the call went through fine.

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Dee

I have Verizon also and have no trouble calling from Toronto area. Went to Montreal and Quebec City a couple of weeks ago. Didn't try to use the cell phone, but got the message in Montreal "digital roam" and in Quebec City "analog roam." So I thought I would be able to use it.

Jul 17th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Jane

In anticipation of a trip to Canada, I added all of Canada to my Verizon calling area for an additional $10.00 per month. Once we return, I will be able to delete the service immediately. Seems like a bargain to me!

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:01 PM
hrc

Hi Jane-
Read your post and thought "What a great idea." So I immediately called Verizon and after punching about 30 buttons a young lady told me there was no such thing as a fee to add Canada to my plan. She offered me options to change my entire plan to include Canada, but it was very expensive relative to the # of minutes I currently have.
Does the program you got have a name?
Thanks,
Howard

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Jane

Howard:
I have the plan that allows you to call all of US for a flat fee of $41.43 per month. I think I get 500 minutes per month and unlimited minutes on the week-ends. I don't know the name of the plan. The number I called to add all of Canada too was 1-800-868-2700. I know what you mean about their "menu hell"!! Let me know if it works for you.