Reload this Page >

Will I need a car to see Vancouver?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Dennis W

We'll be visiting Vancouver for 1st time at month-end from a Wednesday into a Saturday -- my question is simple -- will I need a car to see what's there to see, or can we get around without one, using public transport and good-old shoe leather. We're staying downtown at the Sheraton Wall Centre. Any ideas appreciated!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:29 PM
sheri

Hi Dennis, you can easily spend a day or two seeing the highlights of downtown Vancouver (Stanley Park, Robson Street, Yaletown, Granville Island, etc) without a car. But you might want to rent one for a day or two so you can do a day trip to Whistler, for instance, or see/do other things that are not in the downtown core.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Carl Z

Sherry's adivce is good I'd just add that the normal 'city tours' don't operate at this time of year. <BR>So you're on your own if you want to see anything outside of the downtown core. <BR>But shoe-leather is a viable option- downtown is compact and safe, transit is efficient and cheap.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:07 AM
joan

Dennis: <BR>If you want something more exotic you can visit Chinatown (largest outside San Fran). Can also catch the sea bus across to the north shore and take a bus to Grouse Mountain and then go up the gondola - go skiing!! You really won't need a car for just a few days in town.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 02:22 PM
Daniel Williams

I hear Vancouver has a great Chinatown, BUT I've also heard Toronto and New York City had larger Chinatowns...what's the truth? San Francisco then Vancouver then New York and Toronto or New York and Toronto then San Francisco then Vancouver?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 05:24 PM
allen

I was not at all impressed by Vancouver Chinatown. I found San Francisco and New York more interesting. Also thought the immediate areas around Vancouver Chinatown to be quite seedy, especially the area between Gastown and Chinatown.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:48 PM
Robyn

I actually wouldn't suggest going to Chinatown in Vancouver to tourists just for the very fact that it borders skid row, and I personally don't find it all that impressive. And I live here. As well, if you want a truly unique Chinese experience in Vancouver, I'd suggest driving south to the suburb city Richmond (about a 30 minute drive). This is a modern "Chinatown", however the majority of the population are wealthy immigrants from Hong Kong, and have transformed a part of Richmond into a whole new world that resembles modern Hong Kong. The area around No 3 Rd and Cambie street in Richmond has several Asian markets and malls (Aberdeen Centre, Parker Place, President Plaza, Yaohan Centre), and all along No 3 Rd are dozens of dim sum & Chinese restaurants, bubble tea houses, Asian dessert shops, karaoke bars and dozens of other shops marketed exclusively to Asian clientele. I find this area much more unique to Vancouver. At times, you don't even feel like you're in North America! <BR> <BR>As for a car in Vancouver, you won't necessarly need a car if you plan to spend your time downtown. Downtown Vancouver is very compact, and geographically almost like an island (3 or 4 sides border the water). You can easily walk around and see the main attractions like Stanley Park, Robson Street, English Bay, Gastown, & Yaletown. You can take the $2 passenger "Aquabus" across False Creek to Granville Island, home to the Granville Island public market, art galleries, art schools, shops, restaurants, cafes, and many theatres. <BR>You can also take the skytrain out to the Main & Science World station, and walk to the bus station where you can take a bus up to Whistler for a day. <BR> <BR>But many other places are worth seeing outside of downtown that make it a whole lot easier to see if you have a car. Like driving to Queen Elizabeth or Van Dusen Gardens. Driving north to Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, or along Marine Drive in West Vancouver, along the scenic route to the scenic town of Horseshoe Bay. Or driving south to Richmond's mini Hong Kong, or the fishing village of Steveston, or even the trendy beachside community of Kitsilano in the west side of Vancouver. Or the parks down at UBC, or even the Museum of Anthropology. <BR> <BR>I guess I'd say, if you're going to be spending 2-3 days in Vancouver, and this is your first time, you won't need the car. But if you plan to spend more than 3 days, and you want to leave the downtown core without the hassle of public transit, then I'd suggest renting a car for a few days. You can also play it by ear when you arrive and see how much time you actually do spend downtown. When you're ready to explore more, rent a car. <BR> <BR>Since this is your first trip, you can't miss seeing Stanley Park (and the Vancouver Aquarium), and Granville Island. A good site to check out is http://www.vancouver.hm for other things to see. The webmaster is a local and he has so many great ideas. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:35 AM
allen

Actually I found Chinatown to be the one disapointment of our trip. Otherwise Vancouver was a great placeto visit. The area around Robson and Burrard Steets were fun to walk, Stanley Park was beautiful as was the north side going up to Grouse Mountain. Suggest having dinner at Cafe de Paris, a pleasant neighborhood bistro and dim sum at Victoria Restaurant (I think it was at the Royal Center) not far from the Sheraton. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Bonnie

You are getting great advice. I agree with one of the replies that at the most you could rent a car for one day and do West/North Vancouver which includes Grouse Mt.,etc. If you go to Whistler for the day you can just take the bus from downtown. You don't need aq car while you're there. The Wall Centre had a complimentary limousine service for the downtown area so they can help you get around.