Reload this Page >

Help - Quebec City Trip

Search

Help - Quebec City Trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 10:55 AM
Eric

Help - Quebec City Trip

Planning a winter (Probably February or March) visit to Quebec City and have already gotten all of the typical tips and have read both Fodor's and Frommer's guides so NOT looking for restaurant or hotel advice but am looking for obscure suggestions about things to do like dogsledding or 1-day cooking classes...etc. Also would very much like suggestions on spas.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 10:15 AM
beau

cooking classes!!? Bon Chance.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 10:58 AM
Ross

You can try Village des Sports in Val Cartier just outside of Quebec City all types of outdoor winter sports. In the summertime it is a water park. In the winter, it's all snow and ice. They have their own web-site, and they did have dog-sledding the last time I was there. <BR> <BR>Ross.

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 03:33 PM
Diane

Eric - this is from a last-year's trip report, shortened here to fit your question: The Charlevoix region further east along the St Lawrence River is really beautiful. We stayed that night at a Gite chez Gertrude which was spic and span and made us feel like we were visiting someone's home. (Gertrude and her daughter Raymonde Tremblay were just wonderful hosts.) Cost about $65 Canadian INCLUDING a full breakfast the next morning. <BR> <BR>The dog sled trip was clearly the coolest thing we did on the whole trip. (Husky Adventures - www.quebecweb.com/dogsled, $75 Canadian per person ) About 10 minutes from our B&B, we pulled in to the home of Johnny and Suzanne Dufour at about 8:30 AM. In their kitchen, they supplimented our clothing with big wool socks, HEAVY bib pants (over the 3 layers of clothing we were already wearing). Big waterproof boots, long leather gloves with an extra woolen sock over my cast hand/arm. Then Johnny took us up to the kennel via a snowmobile towing a sled. As they harnessed up the huskies (six to a sled) Johnny explained the key things to know about driving a sled. (There were three sleds, for the 4 of us plus Johnny and Mario, our guides.) <BR> <BR>"You must keep the rope straight" and "Zee most important ting --- you know shit?...if zee dog starts to squat (demonstrated dog squatting) you MUST trow up your arm, step on zee break, and yell STOP. Zee sled does not stop witout zee break. Don't worry 'bout zee otter (demonstrates lifting leg) -- but you must watch for zee shit!" So, the line we will all remember from this trip: "Ze MOST important ting....you know....?" <BR> <BR>The sled trip itself was great fun. We followed trails through wilderness, mountains, fir trees and lots of snow. Everyone (but me) got pretty good at driving (I only could ride). It lasted about 4 hours. Turned out we were their first customers this year. At the end you make a big celebration of thanking all the dogs, who just love the attention. We went back to their house to and had homemade fudge. What a charming end to our family Christmas celebration. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Joy

TO DIANE -Please tell us exactly where you stayed. How far from Quebec City? I would love to do the dog-sled trip. You said last year, what month was it? Probably late March or mid-April might not be a bad choice for visiting. I hope you can help. Thanks

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 06:18 AM
andré saint-louis

hi we are a company that offer outdours activities and we or located in quebec city SHERPA PLIEN AIR .i can sand you are cataloge of are activities and you have some dogsledding.write me back are go on sherpa.netfrims.com the phone is 1-888-640-7437.it s a very nice spot whit very nice dog and people you can do some ice fishing and some snow shoes on the site in total nature.see you soon