Notices

Wickannish Inn, Tofino

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:19 AM
klam

Wickannish Inn, Tofino

We'd like to stay here between Christmas and New Year's for 3 nights. I've researched their website, but I'm looking for some tips on this place from Fodorites who have been there before.

Are some rooms better located than others? How is their spa?

Is it easy to drive to Hot Springs Cove on your own, or do you have to take their tour?

The restaurant is highly rated and I've seen their menu on-line, but there are no prices listed. How much will breakie, lunch, and dinner cost us, approximately?

Any restaurant suggestions for casual but yummy meals in Tofino?

What's the dress like there? Casual resort...sweaters and slacks?

Anything else? Tia!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:54 PM
tutu

Just returned from Tofino where the Inn is located. Didn't stay there but had a delicious lunch - for two with wine cost approx $50 Canadian. Not sure if all rooms face the ocean but be sure to request one that does. I gather that winter storms are quite spectacular in this part of the world. The restaurant which has a 4 diamond rating, also overlooks the ocean. The lobby has a lovely fireplace with comfy chairs and I gather there's also a lounge for dessert & coffee. Elegant and understated is how I would describe the Inn.

You could also try the Schooner Restaurant further down the road. Great food and service but be sure to reserve as they seemed awfully busy and this was early October.

It's a lovely part of the world and I can't wait to revisit. Enjoy!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:03 PM
sue

i read somewhere a few months ago that this place rated no. 1 in the world!!!????

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Cindy

Hot Springs Cove is accessible only by boat. There are a number of tour companies that go there; some of them combine the trip with whale-watching, although I don't know if you'll be there at the same time as the whales. We saw some when we were there a couple of summers ago.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:41 PM
DJ

The Inn is very nice in all respects. Very friendly, helpful staff. Found the food very good and really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. Fabulous view from the restaurant. Just wore very casual clothing for all meals as anything goes. Some guests dressed up a bit while others were in jeans wearing hiking boots. The rooms are comfortably spacious, some bigger than others. We had a queen room with a partial oceanview and this was very nice. Didn't try the spa but heard good things from other guests. We definitely plan on returning in the future. Enjoy your stay. DJ

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Ceara

The Wick is okay. They're in transition right now with the chef leaving and no one hired to replace him. The spa is great!

The Schooner is great - definitely my favourite place for lunch! Dinners are touch and go.

I highly recommend the Raincoast Cafe. I'm surprised this restaurant is in Tofino - it's so amazing! The menu is very original. They are booked up every night, so advance reservations are advised, especially for New Years' Eve. I booked in October and there was very little left by the time I called.

I also like going to the Long Beach Lodge great room for drinks and appetizers.

breakfast at the Alley Way Cafe is also a favourite.

Good luck,
Ceara

Yes, hotsprings cove is by boat only. And the dress in Tofino is basically "nice casual".