Reload this Page >

Whistler's BC Rail Scenic Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:48 AM
Colleen Todt

Has anyone taken the BC scenic rail day trip from Whistler...will be there in July and want to know if it is worth it; other must do's

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 10:04 AM
gary

The coastal half of the Vancouver Whistler trip, (Vancouver to Squamish), is one of the most beautiful stretches around so long as there's no low cloud cover. The train ride is a great way to go but make sure you're sitting on the water side. the only problem with the train is the station is about 2 k's from the Whistler Village centre. The bus would be almost as good and driving is only a good idea if you want freedom from schedules because the road is very windy and the driver has trouble appreciating the scenery and paying attention to the road at the same time. <BR>Other must do's - are you talking about Whistler or the Lower Mainland in general?

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 05:15 PM
April

I agree with Gary that the scenery is spectacular - a must do while in the Vancouver area I think. I only hope that trip isn't like the so-called Royal Hudson stream train trip we took in August to Squamish. It was like being on a school bus for four hours.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 12:26 AM
C Todt

Thanks for the advise...we'll be driving to Whistler (staying Whistler for 3 nights) from Vancouver; rail trip would be a day trip during our stay should we choose that as an excursion...someone else mentioned an ATV guided tour...gondola up the mountain sounds fun...especially for my boys who are born and raised in Maui and would love even a glimpse of snow.

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Deanna

I believe you were asking about the day trip from Whistler. I have taken the trip north a couple of times. It is worth it if you have the time. There is a bus shuttle from the "main square" in Whistler to the train station so the distance to the station should be no problem. <BR> <BR>There is a lot to do in Whistler, however. Depending on the ages of your children, don't forget about the new recreation center which has a great pool with a rope "swing out" and an ice skating rink. We also love riding one of the lifts to the top of Blackcomb or Whister and having lunch on top. By July you should be able to do some hiking. If you are going to be in Whistler July 1, there is a parage and celebration events. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:31 AM
ctodt

Thanks for the response...did you take the train both ways or train then motorcoach. We'll have a few days so concerned that this will make good use of our time. Will definitely take the lifts up to the heights. Thanks for the advice on the rec center...one of our kids has never seen an ice rink!

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:35 PM
sean

Hi, I think you said you were going to drive to whistler? If so then just a small tip. Drive slow on that highway. The Sea to Sky Highway is also known as the Death Highway; and for good reason. It's just two lanes most of the way, with many blind corners and in a few places quite narrow. Speeding is also very common, and that can become fatal for people who don't "know" the highway. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I would actually recommend that you drive. Driving to Whistler is by far the most fun way to get there. There are numerous places to stop, be it for photos, a walk or lunch. <BR> <BR>A few recommendations are <BR> <BR>-Lions Bay (my home town) stop for coffee or a snack at the village cafe,also check our the art gallery and the village store. Also the killer 180 degree view of Howe Sound from the parking lot is not to be missed. <BR>-Britannica beach. Check out the mining museum, and tour the old mine. <BR>-Shannon Falls. Stop and walk up to the view point and see the falls, or feed the bunnies (there are wild rabbits all around Shannon Falls during the summer) Alternatively have lunch at the restaurant across the road, the food is pretty good.(no rabbit is not on the menu: ) <BR> <BR>One final note, if you go into the bush, (Canadian for "the woods") be sure to bring some bread or nuts for the Whiskey Jacks. These are little birds who will fly right up to you and land on your hand if you offer them a treat, it's all good. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:10 PM
ctodt

Thanks for the highway tip...we also live in a tourist destination. The highway we drive daily is also two lanes along the ocean, with beautiful scenery. It is frequented by both easily distracted tourists and a bunch of folks in a hurry (rarely gets them there any faster)...it, sadly, is also becoming a death highway... appreciate the "heads up"! We'll gladly take time to "smell the roses"...thanks for suggestions!

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Deanna

We took the train both ways to and from Lillioutt (sp?)(sorry, not sure of the spelling). The train lets you out for a few hours for lunch before you board another train for the return trip. BC Rail has a web site,I believe, so you can get info as to time schedules, etc. from there. We felt it was worth the trip north if you have a day to spare. There are great picture taking opportunities along the way. Enjoy Whistler!