Reload this Page >

First trip to Toronto

Search

First trip to Toronto

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Sally

First trip to Toronto

I'm planning my first visit to Toronto this July with my mom who's in her 60's. Will fly up from NYC on a Thursday A.M. and stay till Sunday P.M. We love restaurants, shopping, wineries, nature (i.e. a taste of everything). A hotel in the $150 - $200 range is fine -- want someplace nice and convenient. Any suggestions on where to stay and how to spend our time would be greatly appreciated!

Old May 12th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Bonnie

There are some great postings to other questions on this site that will give you more info. Basically, you will want to either stay "downtown" or Bloor Street/Yorkville. Since you're coming for the week-end try to get a special rate at any of the following: Reasonable & central- Delta Chelsea Inn. Used by tour groups but generally good rates and it's central. Marriott Eaton Centre - very nice, attached to our famous Eaton Centre (which by the way has T.O.Tix - for half price theatre tickets.) They also have a location on Bloor Street which was a previous Ramada or something. Don't know if they've renovated it yet but great location if they have. Grand older hotel is Royal York. Crowne Plaza is near the CN Tower, Skydome, not far from Harbourfront. The newest and greatest is the Park Hyatt, corner of Avenue Road and Bloor. It doesn't get any better. Across from the Four Seasons. New tower is the north one but the south is also nice. Went to their new spa "Stillwater" on Thursday. <BR>"Wow!" Now that's a way to treat your Mother and yourself to something special. Try expedia.ca for hotels in Canada. Quickbook gave us amazing rates in NYC, maybe they have Toronto rates as well. Have you seen Mama Mia yet? It's a must! If you can't get tickets, email me directly and I will give you an 800 number for a ticket service in Toronto I use when we have clients coming in on short notice. Our wineries are about an hour & a half out of the city but are wonderful. Restaurants depend on what you like and where you're staying. I will leave it to someone else to answer some of your other questions. Enjoy! <BR>

Old May 12th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Sally

Thanks Bonnie. Indeed, I am copying and saving many of the applicable messages and thank you for your advice. In the meantime, plans have changed to come up in late September or early October. Is this a good time to visit. Will fares/hotels be less expensive, etc.?

Old May 12th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Vanessa

I agree with Bonnie that you really should get tickets to see Momma Mia. I just checked their website (www.ticketking.com) and tickets are only on sale until the end of September so far. I'm pretty sure I heard it's been extended until the end of December though. Don't try to get discounted tickets when you get to town...they haven't had an empty seat yet. <BR> <BR>You may also want to check out www.toronto.com for other things that may be happening the weekend that you're in Toronto. <BR> <BR>I don't think you'll find hotel or fares any cheaper (or atleast not much) in September or October than in July. If you're flying charter, the fare would likely be cheaper in July. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a great trip!

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Bonnie

This is a city that is busy all the time. You should check the weekend that you think you might come up to see if there is anything big happening. The hotels would know and so would the website another poster mentioned: toronto.com. You don't want to get here to find out the streets are closed off due to a big marathon or something. That happened to me when I planned a weekend in NYC and it turned out to be the Marathon. (We still had a great time because it was also Halloween). September can be lovely because it shouldn't be as hot. Anytime is a good time to come! Generally there are seat sales in the fall altho' Air Canada is running out of competition. By the way Jet Blue flies into Buffalo from NYC and is extremely reasonable. It would require about a 2 hour drive to T.O.(if there is traffic) but you would pass Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake and several vineyards. Hope this helps.

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Joan

September/October is a fine time to come, a little cooler (sweater weather)but the leaves will be turning by late Sept/early October so add a bus trip out to the country to your itinerary...lets of the larger hotels should be able to help with this. Also this is a terrific time to go to the Niagara wineries. If money is not a problem (and if you are quoting US$ you should be okay), do try the Fairmont Royal York, it has the most atmosphere as it is an old CN (railway) hotel and, though recently renovated, still has all its old style grandeur and the concierges know everything about TO.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:50 AM
toby

would like to know what is a "mama mia"? <BR> <BR>thx

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Rochelle

Hi, <BR>Mama Mia is a musical-veryvery entertaining with ABBA music. ABBA is not in the musical or even mentionned.Standing ovations every night. One of the best shows we have ever seen and we have seen quite a lot.The musical originated in London, <BR>England and then came to Toronto. From here it opened in L.A. and other American cities. It's going to open on Broadway very soon. Enjoy Toronto. There are so many things to do Make sure you look up what's happening in Toronto before you come and try to decide what you would like to do. But you won't be sorry if you see Mama Mia.

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Sandy

Sally <BR> <BR>I just returned from 5 days in Toronto. I stayed at the Royal York the location was perfect.The metro stop was right there along with the train station.The Harbour front was a short walk or you can just jump on the trolley.The theater with the Lion King & Mamma Mia are just a short walk or subway ride away.I was able to get a ticket to Lion KIng but unfortunately couldn't get one to Mamma Mia. <BR> <BR>I found the city to be very safe and had no problems with riding the subways at night. <BR> <BR>The Art Gallery of Ontario has a wonderful Reubens exhibit from the Hermitage in Russia and if you enjoy art definately try to spend some time at the Royal Museum of Art.Both an easy subway ride from the Royal York. <BR> <BR>I hope you enjoy your visit. I did and i definately plan to go back. <BR> <BR> <BR>