Whistler, Victoria, and Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha! We're bringing two friends to Canada and would like to ensure that we plan a good trip for them. Any advice on the following topics would be greatly apppreciated!

1) Whistler: Best place to dog sled or snow mobile? Found a couple of web sites but I wanted to know if anyone had any 1st hand experience.
Fire and Ice Show? Is it worth is to extend our trip to see it? We were planning to leave Sunday morning. (We have a 7 year old and 4 year old.)
2) Victoria: Planning to leave whistler, hop on the ferry at Horseshoe Bay and drive on down to Victoria. Any "gotta sees"? We took our friends to Butchart Gardens the last time.
3) Vancouver: We took them to Granville Island, the Science Center, Stanley Park, Aquarium, Gastown, and the Tower last time. I was thinking about Lonsdale Quay this time. Any info on Dinotown? Is it worth the 2 hour drive?

Any advice would be helpful. I've been surfing the net but would like expert advice as we're coming all the way from Hawaii!

Thanks in advance! Mahalo!
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Hi, sorry can't help much with the Whistler, Victoria questions but I live in Vancouver and it's seems that you covered alot last trip. There is a new attraction in Gastown called Storyeum which might be of interest especially with kids. It tells the history of British Columbia, you walk through a series of underground theatres with different themes and live actors. I haven't been there yet(just opened this summer). They have a website that you can check out www.storyeum.com
Dinotown is not worth the 2 hour drive, it's not much more than an oversized playground. I think your 7 year old would be bored.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:42 PM

forgot something in my last reply, since you considered Londale Quay perhaps you should check out the Capilano Suspension Bridge, also in North Vancouver. I,m sure the kids would love it, ours did when they were young. It's a suspension bridge 230 feet above the Capilano River and it's about 400 feet long so it sways. Beautiful scenery. They also have a Living Forest display which is a series of catwalks through the forest, if you're interested in our local fauna.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Also while you are in North Van take the Grouse Mountain Skyride to the top of Grouse Mountain. If it's a clear day you will have a spectacular view of Vancouver. If it's not clear don't bother as you will see nothing but the clouds that you are in up there.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - we went to Capilano Suspension Bridge on our last trip - we loved it! We tried to got to Grousse but it was too cloudy - we're hoping we can go this time around.

Any advice about the snowmobiling or he path from Nanaimo to Victoria?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM

In Victoria there's some wonderful gardens behind the Royal Roads military academy in Sooke - ask around for directions. The best part is, they're free!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:50 PM

I am not sure of the exact location but in Victoria towards the ferries to Seattle, there is a little spot with a bunch of boat houses. There is also a few spots to eat. Along that bunch of shacks, there is a fish market where you can ask the owner to steam you some fresh crabs - the best I have ever eaten. Also the seals come up to the docks and you can buy bait from the fish shack owner to feed them. Awesome!!!! I have also heard the restaurant where you can order fish and chips is the best! Only place in Canada I have heard of halibut as the fish used!

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:39 AM

dandy, I'm unsure when you're travelling but if it's in the winter months, you might want to check out a 2-hour guided cross-country trek on Cypress Mountain, just "left" of Grouse Mountain. Its web site will give you details. There is a shuttle bus service from Lonsdale Quay running to Cypress, as well.

And I agree, forget "Dino World": too far away for too little.

Have fun,
Linda
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates - I'll be sure to look for the shack with the fresh crabs - my mouth is watering already!

I will look for the Cypress Mountain web site! Thank you!

Still no advice on snowmobiling or dogsledding? We're going in March.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 11:25 AM

Victoria does not get much for snow, even in dead winter. The only ski mountains on Vancouver island are up by Courtenay (3 hours drive from Victoria) - Mount Washington and Forbidden Plateau
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:22 PM

Since you've already been to Butchart Gardens in Victoria, Hatley Park & Castle that abbynicole mentioned would be a good alternative. Technically in Greater Victoria, it is on the road to Sooke. There is a short left-hand-turn lane to it heading out. In some ways, I prefer it to Butchart's. By the castle is the Italian garden where you will usually see peacocks. Through the Japanese gardens below, you can follow a path right down the lagoon and ocean. All you need is a 'loonie' for parking.

Tanya might be referring to Barb's Place about the fish & chips. (Don't other places use halibut?) Personally, I found their fish & chips dreadful, but some people seem to like it. Ownership may have changed hands not long ago.

As for driving down from Nanaimo, you could stop at the little town of Chemainus north of Duncan to look at the murals.

http://www.royalroads.ca/Channels/ab...s+and+gardens/
http://www.bcexplore.com/barbs.htm