Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whistler in August-Stay in the Village or outside the Village?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:03 AM
Janie Lucas

We are going to be in Whistler with 3 kids 10, 13 and 16 for a weekend in August. Since it is not ski season, should we still stay right in the Village or in the Upper Village. I hear that the Village is close enough to walk but will staying in the Village itself be more convenient. I hear good things about Horstman House and that it is right across from a lake. Your comments please.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:53 AM
Laurie

I live in Whistler and my recommendations are this: If you stay right in the village near the town squares, it may be a bit busy and noisy for you, esp. at night. Stay in the upper village area (near the base of Blackcomb Mtn) as it is only a short walk into the village shopping area. You can also walk to Lost Lake for swimming or bike around the lake on the 35k of trails. Check out the Whistler website (or plug in Whistler accomodations in your search engine) for hotel ideas. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:17 AM
Laurie

Thanks for the info Laurie. Evidently Hostman House is right near (across from) Lost Lake. Is it really only a 15 minute walk from the village? I just thought if we were too far away, it might be inconvenient going back and forth to the village several times a day...

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:39 AM
Laurie

The Horstmann cannot be across from the lake as the lake is completely surrounded by the forest. It is closer to the Chateau Whistler, off Blackcomb Way, which will be about a 15 min walk to the village center. I suspect however, that you will not want to going into the village more than once per day (dinner?), and that the kids would prefer to hang out on the trails or by the lake. Don't forget to bring/rent bikes!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:05 AM
maudy

i just got back from whistler. we stayed at the powder lodge, which is owned by whistler village inn and suites. it was a 5 min walk from the free lost lake shuttle bus which will take approx. 5 min. to get right to the lake and you can go same way back. busses run every 15 min. we enjoyed the village suites, they have specials right now for 99.00 (cdn) per night, the one we stayed in had a loft with a comfortable double bed , small kitchen, 2 couches downstairs pulled into 2 twin size beds and a nice size balcony, wasnt too noisy at night, not sure but kids should be free. there is 2 hot tubs, pool , sauna, and free continental breakfast, very central location and your at the edge of the village and close to upper village. oh ps - a few steps away from the keg, starbucks, earls restaurant, mongolie grill, spaghetti factory. let me know if you need more info.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:39 AM
Maudy

Thanks Maudy. Then this place is in the village? There are so many choices that my head is spinning! We were looking into the Aspens. There is a place in Village North called the Glacier's Reach that has 2 bedroom units with personal hotub on your balcony which really appeals to the kids. I am getting a bit disheartened by several people on the website that hated Whistler. Znyway, let me know what you think.<BR><BR>Janie

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:25 PM
maudy

yes the powder lodge where i stayed is in the village (the outer part) i checked out the suites on the other side of hallway where we stayed and you can see the village and the tourists strolling. we stayed close to the aspens before, as far as i can remember you have to hike up the mountain a bit which can be a bit tiring , especially if you keep going out a lot. lost of action usually on the bottom of hill which is next to chateau whistler, ie; trampoline, horse riding, chairlift; but bit of a walk to the village. i havent heard of the place you mentioned in the village north, but if the price is right go for it. not sure if you mentioned it has a kitchen or if your going to go out a lot but there is an large iga there as well as mcdonalds, blenz, starbucks, rogers video rental, kfc, dominos pizza, etc. i havent read anything negative about whistler, i will check this out; i just left there last weekend and i wish i was there now. what exactly are you looking to do there; biking, swimming, shopping?? please do not be discouraged from what you've read. whistler is a beautiful place with beautiful scenery; if the kids like to skateboard, there is a great place for them to do this also close by. let me know if you need any more info. glad to help.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Hollie

Hi,<BR>I am going to Whistler on Saturday and am hoping to camp with my dog. Are there any secluded camp sites that you recommend? Any ideas on what is going on this weekend?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Hollie