whistler conditions this year

Feb 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

whistler conditions this year

I am having trouble finding out how conditions are this year for skiing- my husband and son want a destination for march break skiing- I see there is 137 cm of base snow- is that a good year, poor year, etc-
how do you think march will be for skiing this year? they want to book where there is a good chance of great skiing!

thanks!
Feb 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM

I have been at Christmas, in February and March. I have always found Whistler to be great. They have had a tremendous amount of snow this year, we wanted to go but decided against it. It can be a toss up. The conditions for the most part near the top of the mountain almost never disappoint. Sometimes down near the village, it can be slushy, or icy. Generally thought sking is awesome there, the trails are great. It is really just one of those things, that you just hope you go and get lots of the white stuff. If you could choose I would say go in February but if that is not possible, I am sure it will be fine.
Check out: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm
One thing for sure though that I find great is the temperature, its never really freezing cold unlike what we put up with out here in Ontario and Quebec!
Feb 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM

On the Lonely Planet forum, someone who claims to be a Whistler local says they have horrible conditions right now.
Feb 8th, 2009, 04:09 AM

conditions were not great when I was there a few weeks ago...but that was a few weeks ago. a number of the runs were closed, and runs along the bottom half of the mountain were very icy.

that being said, I still had a great time!
Feb 20th, 2009, 02:24 AM

The snow in the far west is not the best this year.Even in the states in dryer area like oregon mt bacholour (not sure of the spelling is usually dry but not this year. the hills are shinny,with ice.Maybe by march it will be better.Sometimes a week really makes a difference,so does good grooming of the snow.I haven't been up yet this year but still not giving up.There are many things do do at whistler.try some frisby golf.