Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Brand-New Skiier wants to know: does Copper Mtn have good snow in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be more specific, we're thinking about going to Copper Mountain to learn to ski NEXT March, a whole year from now, during our spring break, which will be around March 20-25. My question: is that a good time of year to go there specifically, or would Xmas break be better, as far as snow, temperatures, crowds, etc? From what I've seen on this forum, it looks like a pretty good place to learn. Thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Xmas would definitely NOT be better. Snow is always iffy earlier in the season. January or later. We were in Breckenridge last week, and drove past Copper Mountain on our way to Vail, and the snow/conditions were excellent.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Tonight into tomorrow, Copper Mountain is going to get another foot of snow, at least. March can be the snowiest month in Colorado. Temperatures are usually much warmer in March than in December; sunny days with fresh powder are the way to go! Of course, as they say on Wall Street, "Historical performance does not guarantee future returns." Just because conditions are great this year does not insure it will be just as good next year. However, your chances are generally better for better conditions in March than in December.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -- this is exactly what I wanted to know!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Copper is a better bet in March than other Summit County areas largely because it's mostly north facing, and so holds snow well. It's a great area, have fun!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:21 AM

It is March 19th, and it is snowing hard. Probably get another foot or so over the next two days. Which should make next week excellent. Generally you can depend on good skiing conditions through the first week or so of April. At least a better bet that you would find in Park City or some of the other more popular areas in Utah. Personally I would avoid Christmas simply because of the crowds. Outside of Presidents' Weekend those two weeks are the busiest of the ski season. Having said all that -- weather is weather -- and who knows what the third will be in 2011.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM

I lived at Copper Mt. for several years and the snow conditions in March were always good to excellent. You may encounter some spring skiing conditions, but that's certainly not a problem. I would avoid the Christmas season as it's more expensive, crowded and snow conditions can be iffy. I would caution that prediciting snow conditions a year in advance is impossible, but March has generally been one of best snow months at Copper Mt.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM

March is the best month to ski in Colorado.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. This confirms what I was thinking already!!