Whistler and surrounding areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha! We'll be going to Whistler during spring break (3/19/05 to 3/26/05). The plan was to go skiing/snowboarding but from the looks of it, we may not have enough snow! We already put a deposit down on a condo so we can't change our itinerary.

I need your help...What else is there to do/see in the surrounding areas of Whistler besides hiking, fishing or rock climbing? Are the eagles still around in the Brackendale area? I can't find much info. online or in tour books.

I've been to Whistler before so I'm familiar with the shops, galleries, etc. We will have a van so we can go exploring, but where??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Hi Di,
It hasn't been a great snow year, to say the least, but there still will be skiing while you are here. You will have to download , rather than ski out, but there is still decent snow up top, and lots of sun in the forecast, which means great views, and there are intermediate runs up there as well.
There are lots of eagles around Squamish, and you might want to book a river fishing trip there too. Also, Pemberton Valley golf course is opening on March 17th.
The bike rental companies have their bikes out already, so you can do lots of trail riding, and of course , there is always apre's on the decks, which can't be beat on a sunny spring day.
A drive to the top of Duffy lake road provides some incredible views, and you may be able to hike into Joffre Lakes there too. Cheers, Al
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, WhistlerAl, for your encouraging news on the snow situation! Unfortunately, majority of us are beginners who need to take ski lessons. And, the teens in our group want to take snowboard lessons. I imagine the snow up top is for the more experienced skier?

Thank you also for all your suggestions on other places to visit while in Whistler!

Aloha from Hawaii!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Hi Di,
The nice thing about Whistler-Blackcomb is that there are beginner runs even at the top of the mountain. Go to www.whistlerblackcomb.com and click on the mountains and trail maps to see the runs. There is also a section on lessons there.
Where are you in Hawaii?We spent a month on Maui and a week on Kauai in November and loved it. Cheers, Al
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

I'm happy to know that there are beginner runs "up top" for lessons. I'm still praying for more snow!

I live on Oahu in Honolulu. A LOT of people from Hawaii will be in Whistler starting next week during spring break!

By the way, could you recommend a store or mall to pick up ski clothing? We don't need top-of-the-line quality stuff since we go skiing once a year or once every two years.

I've only been to Vancouver during the summer (3 times), so it will be a totally different experience for me during this time of the year. I absolutely love Vancouver and Vancouver Island. It's my favorite vacation destination!

Cheers to you, too, Whistler Al.