Reload this Page >

Which city to visit?

Search

Which city to visit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 02:06 PM
Robyn

Which city to visit?

I am going on a vacation with my best friend in April. I know nothing about Canada and would like your pick for the best city to visit. We both love europe (I am a paris fanatic) so that is something to consider. We would love a beautiful city that has plenty of good food, people watching, fun shops etc. Any help with nice hotels/B&B's would be great too. Thank you so VERY much for your help!

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 03:40 PM
gw

Montreal is the place! It is known as the Europe of Canada...French & English..lots of culture, great restaurants, cafes, shopping. there is an uderground city of about 9 miles in the center of the city connected by walkways and the subway.The underground is full of reastaurants, theatres and connectes to a number of shopping malls. the subway built in 1967 for the world's fair was modelled after the one in Paris. It called the Metro...easy to use. there is a section near the waterfront of the city called Old Montreal, It has restaurnats and cobblestone streets, bars, entertainers and artists in the street. they also have dinner cruises on the water there and a huge fleamarket. In Montreal many restaurnats allow you to bring your own wine. Bars are open until 3am. The main streets are endless they are St Catherine and Sherbrook...both have shops and restaurants and bars and Sherbrook is a bit more upscale. You walk both of them with not a boring minute. Crescent street is a happening hangout with bars and restaurants also. <BR>it is also downtown. montreal has a central downtown core that is esay to navaigate. It is a beautiful, fun city and very safe. <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 05:57 PM
April

Does it have to be a city? If I was to visit only one place in Canada, it would have to be the Rockies. <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Donna

I'm another Paris fanatic who would also highly recommend Montreal. We visit there as often as possible. If you love all things French, Montreal is fabulous. I think the dining is much better than Paris. The shops and markets are fabulous. Unlike Paris, though, the hotels are nicer, and the exchange rate results in truly reasonable rates for excellent rooms and service. Quebec City is even more old fashioned and European and a beautiful city to visit. But, Montreal is larger with more to see and do. The recommendations here at Fodor's for dining and lodging are excellent!

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 09:32 AM
Bob Brown

From east to west, Canada stretches a lot farther than the USA!! So are we talking eastern, central or western? <BR>If western Canada, how about Vancouver and Victoria? If inland west, how about Calgary and Edmonton? If central, how about Winnipeg? If central - east, then Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Quebec City? <BR>If extreme east, how about Halifax and the surrounding area? <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Dee

Sounds like a fabulous time!!!! But, do you think two females should be traveling alone in this day and time? My vote is Montreal and Quebec City, too. I think you would enjoy it.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Monty

I live in the USA but have traveled to all parts of Canada. Montreal gets my vote hands down. You should also visit Quebec City while in the area.

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Diane

Check my recent "Trip report on Montreal and Quebec City" for details, but meanwhile: Montreal was wonderful. I had no misgivings about letting my 18 and 22 yr old "kids" go out clubbing the nights we were there. In fact, I felt more comfortable about they're going out there than I do here at home in Washington, DC. (Maybe just being in a foreign country kept their eyes a bit more open!) Plus my daughter and I found the shopping to be outstanding. It is a very cosmopolitan city. You find yourself imagining how enjoyable it would be to live there (It is also a very residential city -- like Paris.) Quebec City is like stepping into a different world. It is so charming and picturesque we almost felt like we were living inside one of those snow globes. It would be hard to pick between the two if I only had to choose one. (Do a search on Montreal...Donna has made some great suggestions to other potential visitors!)

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 12:36 PM
Daniel Williams

Dear Robyn, <BR> <BR>My pick for you is also Montréal. I recommend visiting in springtime, when Montrealers come out of the woodwork; the city literally becomes like a Parisian runway with locals showing off their spring fashions with typical Montreal style and savoir-faire. There's really an incredible joie-de-vivre in the air during those first warm, sunny days. Cafés are packed...the ambience could be said to be more European, but I would think it would be more honestly described as MONTREAL. <BR> <BR>In addition to Sainte Catherine and Sherbrooke, you will want to check out boulevard Saint-Laurent (between Sherbrooke and Duluth), boulevard Saint Denis (between Duluth and Mont Royal) and avenue Mont-Royal (between Saint-Laurent and Papineau) also. These streets have boutiques, cafés left-and-right and give off a very European (but also uniquely Montreal) ambience. Some of the side streets in this area (known as the Plateau Mont Royal) have some FABULOUS restaurants and boutiques also (boulangeries, bucheries, fromageries, fruiteries also). <BR> <BR>Yes, if you love Paris, I think you will also love Montreal! I lived there for 5 years, and I sure did! I look forward to going back all the time (was there last Xmas!) <BR> <BR>Good luck! Have fun! <BR> <BR>Dan <BR> <BR>(You might enjoy seeing Toronto and Quebec City also, which aren't far away...)