Where to stay in Toronto?

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Jane

Where to stay in Toronto?

Hi
My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway (5 days) in Toronto in January and we are looking for accomodations. We want to stay somewhere nice and we want to stay downtown so we can be close to everything. The hotels seem so expensive and my husband doesn't want to bid on accomodations because he is afraid we may not get something nice. If anyone has any ideas about where to stay or where you can find package deals I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Jane

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Alex

What is your appoximate range...

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Jane

Initially, we hoped that we could go to Toronto for 5 nights, take in a show, a game, some shopping and good food for $2000. With $2500 being the high end. But, when I look around at the hotels, the ones that have specials aren't available and everything else is 290+++ and this doesn't include anything but a room.
For this price I could go to an all-inclusive resort, actually Sandals would be cheaper.
We want to go to Toronto, if anyone has any ideas about packages/promotions it would be appreciated.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 11:34 AM
curt

The last time we were in Toronto we stayed at the Novotel Hotel downtown. Good location, close to waterfront, near to the marketplace, and close to other downtown attractions. Very nice rooms, excellent breakfast service in Cafe Nicole in lobby, underground parking. Overall nice hotel. We have used Marriott downtown and the Harbour Castle in past, but for the money I would take the Novotel anytime. Fun Irish pub just across street also. It was not real expensive in US dollars. Check it out on the Novotel web page.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Cheryl

Is the $290 quoted in Canadian funds? ... Because that would work out to about $190-195 US fund. Anyway, check out the prices at the Sheriton on Queen Street (just south of the Eaton Center), the Marriott at the Eaton Center, and the Delta Chelsea just north of the Eaton Center off Young Street ... all are decent hotels right in the heart of downtown. I think there is also a Crowne Plaza on King Street (just south of the Eaton Center, right in the heart of the theater district with lots of restautants in walking distance) with reasonable rates. You should be able to get a much better rate than $290 at any of those.

What hotels did you get the $290 rate for ... if you are going for a Four Season type hotel, their rates will be up there. The Four Seasons in Toronto is very nice, but there are so many other more reasonably priced places to stay that are nice if you don't want to pay those types of rates.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Louise

Hi Jane,
you might try the Cambridge Suites (under 200) and the Metropolitan downtown newly renovated. I find the Delta Chelsey too crowded and busy.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Alex

Hi again Jane

May I suggest the Westin Harbour Castle, just go to www.westin.com select promotions and then hotdeals. These are charged in advance to your credit card but they average 50% below rack rates (eg. today in mid-Jan they are offering a king room with lake view for $149Can a night). If you select this method just make sure that they either fax you or e-mail you and confirmation number and then call the 1-800 number in Toronto and confirm your reservation. I have done this a number of times and have never had a problem. The other option is to call their global reservation number and ask for their best rate be sure to mention that you are a CAA member because surprisingly this can reduce your rates up to $30 a night. They are also one of the affiliated hotels with the Toronto theatre program and can get you better rate tickets for both evening and the more readily available matinees. (For better ticket prices go during the weekdays matinees). Good luck and great travels. For other ideas try toronto.com

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Sue

I think it pays to call the hotel directly and see what specials they have. Try the Fairmont Royal York Hotel. It is in heart of downtown Toronto and is the old Canadian Pacific railway hotel - the one that you see on photos of the skyline of Toronto. When I booked friends recently, it was cheaper than the Delta Chelsea.

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 07:00 AM
xxx

Have you considered a B&B? There are lots in downtown but are not well known. I know of one called "A Seaton Dream" that's quite nice but I also know there are many here. Try searching on www.bbcanada.com and search on the metro toronto section. The prices are much more accomodating and you are usually within walking distance of many attractions.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Huong

Jane, check out the Toronto Colony off Dundas Street. It was nice and our hotel package included breakfast and parking for $80 (US dollar). Check out their website at www.toronto-colony.com

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 06:27 PM
Bonnie

My daughter got a rate of $99 for the weekend recently at the Delta Chelsea Inn which is off Yonge St. near the Eaton Centre. Also try the Marriott Bloor/Yorkville for a great location and chech out their ebreaks rates. Try Air Canada Websaver rates. They usually apply to Thurs. to Tues. Unless there is something huge happening in the city, hotels should be fairly interested in attracting guests -try for free breakfasts or parking. January should definitely be a quiet time in the city, as it is for most places. Have you tried Toronto.com or expedia.ca? I assume you're Canadian by your email address. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I've heard that The Grand Hotel gives a good rate.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Sherry

We are actually doing the same thing, 5 days in TO. in January. Just went through the excercise that you are doing now. Not too sure if you are familiar with Toronto or not, but "downtown" can mean a lot of things in the city. If you mean right downtown or more midtown there are a number of choices. After a dew days of looking around at rates, and I know Toronto fairly well as I used to live there, the rates at the renovated old Plaza have come down to 155 CDN per night, king bed room. This is a Hyatt property, check out the rate on their web site and call their reservations number directly if you feel more comfortable doing it that way. This hotel is not "downtown" per se, it is located at Bloor/Avenue Road and the subway is right there, very safe. Cab ride is about 5 minutes to "downtown". Bloor has lots of shopping and restaurants etc. Yorkville, always an interesting strolling area, people watching, dinner, drinks etc. is right around the corner. Also, the Hyatt has a full spa. The web site for the hotel certainly makes it look like a nice place to stay again. Upscale, with good rates. One of the places I myself would avoid are the Sheraton, Westin, type places. Very big, convention style hotels. Just not my style. The Royal York Fairmont can have good rates sometimes but be careful there as well, beautiful old renovated hotel, but the bathrooms and rooms can be quite small depending on the room type you choose. Any other questions just ask.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Bonnie

The previous poster was talking about the Park Hyatt. Great choice. It is actually the nicest hotel in Toronto at the moment, in my opinion. Can't go wrong with either the South Tower or the newer North Tower rooms. The Spa is called Stillwater. Just spent an amazing afternoon there with several friends. Definitely recommend it. Take work-out clothes and a bathing suit. Go at least an hour earlier that your treatment and plan to stay an hour after to enjoy the atmosphere. We ordered off their room service menu for lunch in the spa which was more reasonable than the limited Spa lunches.
Don't forget to take advantage of our theatre scene. Pick up last minute (half-price) tickets at T.O. Tix at the Eaton Centre or order in advance thru the Concierge or Ticket Agency. Mama Mia is a must if you haven't seen it. Email me directly if you want more Toronto info.