Where to stay in Quebec City??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I are headed to Quebec city and we were wondering if it is better to stay in the upper part of town or the old city??
We are considering the Hilton in the old city....is this a good choice?

Thanks!!

Layla
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM

First, a bit of local geography. Old Québec is generally considered to be that part within the walls (the Upper Town) and the very oldest part along the river (the Lower Town). The Hilton is not in the old town but is located just outside the walls of the Upper Town close to the Parliament Buildings.

Whether or not it's a good choice depends on what you are looking for. It's relatively central to most of the sights, and is a modern high-rise hotel with all the conveniences and facilities.

However, if you are looking for something that captures the ambiance of Old Québec, it's not really the place to stay.

If you search this board you will find lots of recommendations for hotels in the Upper and Lower Towns.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi laverendrye,

Thanks for the info. We booked at the Clarendon (3 star that seems to get good reviews) it says that it is located in Old Quebec. Is Old Quebec the good place to be if we are looking for quaint side streets that have cute little boutiques and cafes??

Thanks again!

Layla
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM

aucho53: The Clarendon is an excellent choice, centrally located within the walls in the Upper Town. I haven't stayed there, but friends who have were quite pleased. There's lots to explore in the immediate vicinity, and the Lower Town is not far to walk.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks laverendrye!! i appreciate it. i'm glad that the hotel we chose is in a good spot. we only have 1 wknd so i wanted to be in a central location!!

thanks for your help!!

layla
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Not sure of your budget, but we just got back from a four-night stay at Hotel Dominion 1912 in the lower town, which is often referenced on Fodor's posts - with good reason: fantastic hotel and reasonable rates.

Bon voyage!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi Laverendrye and Msm4, we just got back from our weekend in Quebec City. We liked the Clarendon, however, it was far from one of our favourite hotels. Location wise, it was excellent. There were plenty of things to do in the area, and the building was quite impressive. I believe it was built in 1870 or something like that. It had charm, but our room (standard double) was very small. The hotel has a 4 star rating on the sign outside, however I do not feel it lives up to a 4 star rating. All in all it was not bad, but I would look for something with a little more "oompf" next time.
Thanks for your help guys!!

Layla
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:23 PM

We stayed at Chateau des Tourelles and it was a great price and a great little hotel The room we stayed in was Irma and it actually was two rooms with a romantic balcony with a view and very comfy bed. The breakfast was excellent and location perfect. I would highly recommend it for a great hotel and the price was reasonable