Quebec City on a Whim and a Budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Bay Area in California and have a free airline ticket to anywhere in the US or Canada. I'm thinking a three night stay in Quebec City (50's single female traveling solo). My thoughts are mid-May. I will not rent a car (transportation suggestion to the city center please), will Princeline a hotel (will consult biddingfortravel...ideas here??), and will just walk, walk and walk. Not into any fancy dinners or shopping, love the theater, museums, parks...historical walks. Any feedback?
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM

Hi Trav,

Quebec City is a beautiful town. If you stay in the Chateau Frontenac area, you'll be able to walk everywhere, including Old Quebec.

Quebec City has good restaurants, good shopping and great views of the St.Lawrence River from the Dufferin Terrace and the Plains of Abraham.

Museums: Musée de la Civilsation in Old Quebec. Musée du Québec on the Plains of Abraham.

Walks: Old Quebec, Plains of Abraham, Rue St-Jean to Carré d'Youville.

The nearby Île d'Orléans is worth a visit.

Have a good trip!

Ginny
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. Just what I was looking for.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM

We stayed at the Delta which wasn't in Old Quebec but we got a good deal on it. I was pleased with our stay there (especially since we were upgraded) and the walk to Old Quebec wasn't a hardship even during our winter visit.

Next time we might stay in Old Quebec for the ambiance.

FYI, the C-Frontenac runs a tour of their hotel. I took it and quite enjoyed the historic perspective; it was quite interesting.

I agree the Musée de la Civilsation in Old Quebec is very good and quite large...you can spend hours there. You can check their website to see what special exhibit will be there during your trip dates.

Also, I found it quite interesting to walk thru downtown (non Old Quebec) to see how the rest of the city lives. Some interesting shops along the way.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:44 AM

Hi Klam,

I didn't know tours of the C. Frontenac were offered. I've been there many times and it's always a thrill to enter this majestic hotel.

Suggestion for Trav: Have breakfast or brunch (if on a week-end) at the Château, or have a drink in the bar at the end of the main floor. The view of the St. Lawrence River is magnificent.

Ginny
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:27 PM

Hi Ginny,

Yes, the tour was quite interesting as when the guide brought us into the ballrooms, she told us of where they plotted the invasion of Normandy, etc. The historic perspective as great.

Also, they took us thru some premier suites such as "Trudeau" and "Carter", obviously named for their occupants. Of course, if the suites are booked, they wouldn't take you thru.

Trav, I agree with Ginny about catching a meal at the CF. However, I wouldn't make it tea, not a good value for the mid-$30 price tag. I've had much better high tea elsewhere for the same range (and less).

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:45 AM

As a single, you might enjoy staying at one of the many b&b's in the old city. There are many on St Ursule (very pleasant area), and they run about $90 CDN a night.More fun than an impersonal hotel, and usually cheaper. The James Thompson is a very nice one.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:55 PM

we are going to be there from May 14-17. We are staying at a boutique hotel on the Grande Allee called Relais Charles-Alexandre. It is a little bit of a walk (I have read 15-20 minutes) from the city walls, but it is highly recommended by both Frommers and Travel & Leisure magazine. It is fairly cheap ($89CAD, so maybe $75USD?)and just looks gorgeous. The breakfast is served in an art gallery.

Can you tell I am excited about this place?

Maybe I'll see you there!

Shannon from Northern VA