Reload this Page >

Where to look for Toronto info?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Harriett

My husband and I will be visiting Toronto for the first time at the end of August, for a major birthday. We have a reservation at Sutton Place, and dinner Saturday night at Bistro 990. Decided to skip theatre this time, since we only have two nights, but I'm wondering how to find out what else is going on. It seems that there is no 'CitySearch' for Toronto, so I'd appreciate any suggestions/sources for info on concerts, events, jazz clubs etc. that anyone can recommend.<BR><BR>And -- a friend told me about two markets there -- Kensington Market (off Spadina?) and St. Lawrence Market, but she wasn't sure when these take place. Any ideas? <BR><BR>Many thanks!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:51 PM
canuck

Kensington Market - open all week but big on Saturdays - at Dundas and Spadina next to Chinatown - very in your face ethnic market - butchers, fish markets, wonderful selections of spices, beans, vegetables - if you go have one of the jumbo empanadas<BR>St. Lawrence Market - downtown at King and Jarvis - upmarket farmers market - partly open in the week - butcher shops, fishmongers, delis, veg, etc. but the main day is Saturday when the farmers market is on - prices higher than Kensngton - yuppieish clientele (are there yuppies still?) - Rudy's downstairs has the best selecton of exotic rices and you can get a good bacon sandwich on the main floor

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:47 PM
cindy

Just to clarify and add a bit to what the above poster told you - the St. Lawrence Market actually has two buildings, one on the north side of Front Street and one on the south side. The south building is the one that's open every day. On Saturdays, the north building is used as a farmers' market, with lots of fresh produce, baking, etc. The permanent booths, including the restaurants, are in the south building. Kensington is exactly as described. If you're looking for other sorts of info, you could try Toronto.com or Torontolife.com - that one is operated by Toronto Life magazine. Either one should tell you about various events, things to do, etc. The Canadian National Exhibition will be on then, but that doesn't sound like the sort of entertainment you're looking for. When you get here, look for Now Magazine, which is free and it's available at most bookstores, newsstands, etc. - it will tell you about concerts and jazz clubs and things like that.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Paula

Two websites that you may find helpful are Toronto.com and TorontoLife.com.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:05 AM
LJ

Clarification: St. Lawrence Market-South Bldg-where I am headed in 10 minutes to buy fresh cherries and Balderson Cheddar-best Canadian-made- is NOT open Sundays or Mondays

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 03:02 AM
kate

Another good website for events is whatsupintoronto.com.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Harriett

Our big weekend is almost here -- just checking back to see what Toronto fans would have on their don't-miss list? We're skipping theatre this trip, more interested in shopping, markets, parks, music, fun places to eat -- esp. recommendations for Sunday Brunch?<BR><BR>Thanks for all your help!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:49 AM
R&J

We maintain a fairly extensive list of links to Toronto attractions, concerts, and events, starting at www.TDBAB.com/toronto.htm and several pages thereafter.