Where to go with a car in Vancouver.

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go with a car in Vancouver.

In early June we will be going to Vancouver Island (Sooke and Tofino mainly) for a week. Then we are renting an apartment in Vancouver (right downtown) for a week. I wasn't planning on a car -- but looks like it's cheapest for us to have one for our whole trip -- and the apartment has free parking, so. . .

What are some ideas for close trips by car. We've done the supension bridge and have been up to Whistler and to Squamish, not looking to do those again. Don't want to do a LOT of driving, but tell me why I should keep the car for the week (other than it's cheap).
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:23 AM
BAK

When I`m in Vancouver with a car, I drive, along the shore road, to Horseshoe Bay for, at a minimum, lemon pie at the restaurant right downtown, opposite the park. It`s been a while, but I assume the restaurant is stil there.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Lemon Pie? Sounds like a winner already!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:09 AM
BAK

I'm back.

Assumingthe restaurant is still there, and from a Google view, it appears to be...

fish and chips is the great main course. And order your pie at the same time, just in case they are close to runningout.

Another car use is to get to Granville Island, for buying picnic supplies, or just eating there.

BAK
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

From downtown isn't it easier to just walk down and take the little boat to Granville Island? That's what we've done in the past. I guess that's a pretty good walk though as we will be at Robson and Jervis, but I know we walked from the Wedgewood before.

We've never done Grouse Mountain (I think that's right). Is that the better part of a day, or just a basic up and down for the view?
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Vancouver for a week and Vancouver Island for a week... in June...what bliss! I don't have any suggestions for car trips as I've never had a car there (and never ran out of things to enjoy either), but just wanted to express my jealousy (and happiness for you).

(I went to BC this year though so I can't complain....)
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Grouse Mountain out of interest is accessible by bus after the ferry to North Van, so one does not NEED a car to go there. A lot of people go that way.

I went up to Grouse Mountain and saw Capilano Suspension Bridge all in one day; they're very close. The funicular up is quick and regular; one could spend as little as an hour going up and down or longer, depending how much one likes to hike.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM

A car would be handy to visit the fishing port of Steveston. It has some nice waterfront restaurants and shops. The old canning plant is a national historic site and quite interesting to visit.

You can certainly get to UBC by public transit, but a car makes it much easier. There you can visit the Museum of Anthropology, Nibtobe Japanese Gardens, and, if you are really interested in gardens, the UBC Botanical Gardens.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM

A car is very handy while driving about searching for the elusive downtown parking spot.b-(
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Well with our own garage at the apartment right down town, hopefully that's one thing I won't be looking for.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 10:59 PM

Patrick, have you ever driven to the Fraser Valley? It is beautiful and one can take as little or as much time as they would like to depending on their schedule. Here is one website for your review:

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/attractions/?id=53
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM

The Valley can be a lovely place in summer.
Here are some links to aid in planning a tour

http://www.bcfarmfresh.com/

http://www.fvwa.ca/

http://circlefarmtour.com/

http://www.district.kent.bc.ca/vk-circle-farm-tour.html

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

I have to do some looking. I do know we were at the Fraser River a number of years ago, driving from Banff down to Vancouver by a more northern route. Is that where you mean? Oddly, I opened by AAA BC tour book, and there is no listing for Fraser or Fraser Valley, so I need to do a little looking. But I'm not looking for any major drives -- several hours going and equal coming back in one day.

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 08:47 PM

I would drive to Deep Cove to go kayaking (if it's warm enough) or drive to the ferry terminal at Sunshine coast to do an afternoon trip to Bowen Island. Then drive to Richmond for awesome Chinese food Lynn Valley in North Van has some nice easy hiking trails and also a small waterfall..
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Nice links, Sam, as usual.

Patrick, here's a Fraser Valley mini-wine tour that looks interesting...
www.winebc.com/winetour3.php

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Definitely keep the car
There are things you can do in Vancouver without a car - rent a bicycle on Denman street, and ride through Stanley park - you are able to easily get to those hidden places that a car can't.
You can also ride from English Bay right around False Creek etc.
But the transit system will not take you down to Southlands, where you can wander the many pathways along the Fraser River- a completely different and very hidden part of the city.
Or take the car over to the North Shore and forget paying to go up Grouse mountain - drive the road for free up Cypress - take a picnic and wander the trails.
Or as a previous poster suggested, take Marine Drive in West Van - check out Caufield, on the water right before Lighthouse Park and Lighthouse park itself and then Whytecliff Park, near Horseshoe Bay.
Even the drive out to UBC ( and the Anthropology Museum there is a must see) is worth having a car for so you can take NW Marine Dr along Spanish Banks. The buses don't run that way any more, and it is a gold mine of photo ops, nevermind the gorgeous beach stroll access.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM

The Fraser River is a massive river that starts at the Rockies and ends in the Pacific, but the Fraser Valley refers to the fertile banks of the Fraser River whicih are immediately east of Greater Vancouver around Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Hope, Aggasiz, Harrison and Hot Springs. It's a beautiful area full of day trip options if you have a car.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM

Here is the official Fraser Valley Regional District's website. I see they have a section for visitors:

http://www.fvrd.bc.ca