Vancouver with baby - car or no car?

Jul 13th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Vancouver with baby - car or no car?

We will be spending three nights in Vancouver with an 8 month old baby. Do you recommend a car? My husband thinks we can do what we need to (we are limited with the baby) via public transportation. We would like to spend one day in Victoria.

Also, if there are recommended accommodations, I'd appreciate it.

TIA.
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:51 AM
ltt

i found driving in vancouver very frustrating. a lot of jay walkers and impatient drivers. their public transportation system seems pretty good and i'd use that if it meets all your needs.
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:36 PM
BAK

Are you planning to go to Victoria and back in the same day?

I'm not sure I'd try that on the bus. If you're flying by seaplane from downtown harbour to downtown harbour, it would be OK.

I've been in Vancouver with and without a car, and you can get around pretty well by public transit, if you limit where you're going. No problem in the heart of downtown, over to the seabus, across to North Vancouver, back to regular Vancouver, down to Granville Island, or to take the bus to Stanley PArk. Make sure you have a portable stoller for the baby. And don't try toe buses in the middle of rush hour.

But you might want to pick up a car in the afternoon, use it that afternoon and evening to go up Grouse Mountain, visit the Queen Elizabeth park, and just driove around the city. Next morning get up early and drive the car to the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal and then over to Vancouver Island, and down to Vancouver. After dinner in Victoria, load the sleeping baby in the car and return to the mainland via the ferry from Sidney.

But it may turn out that having rented the car for that long it would be just as inexpensive to rent it for the whole stay, especially if you needed to pay for cabs to and from the airport.

It it was me, I'd get the car. You don't need it all the time, but it sure is a lot easier with a baby.

Vancouver traffic is fine, if you come from another big city.
BAK
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I am now having second thoughts about doing Victoria in a day. I realize I am going to have to make some adjustments with a baby. Any recommended places to stay in Victoria? I understand one does not need a car there.

As for whether or not to rent a car, it sounds as though we can pretty much go without car if we stay somewhere "central".

Thanks again.
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:44 PM
BAK

About a car ... you can, of course, rent one for just a short trip. They are called taxis, and I keep forgetting about them. Plus you don't have to pay for parking.

Perhaps take the bus somewhere, and then grab a cab back to the hotel.
BAK
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Well, a few years ago I did the bus/baby thing in Vancouver. What with the stroller and accessories, and waiting for the buses, and worried we might miss the next bus, and trying to figure out which bus went where, etc. we found it a bit too much. It worked, but... It was less expensive than a rental car, but you get what you pay for.

Last summer we were back and had a rental car this time. I lived in Washington, DC for 12 years, and believe me, driving in and around Vancouver was a piece of cake! The only time we encountered heavy traffick was rush hour getting on the bridge from Stanley Park and headed back into the city, and even then the traffick was moving, albeit very slowly until we got onto the bridge when it picked up nicely. We found parking easy, too. For the money a rental car is so much easier, especially with the little guy!

BAK gives very good advice (as he always does) about Victoria. What with the ferry schedules and time down getting back and forth, perhaps another trip to Victoria when you have more time might be better. Have fun!
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for such great advice. Since this is a last minute trip (long story), I've been reading a lot of the Vancouver posts. So, now, we have decided after flying into Vancouver to go to Victoria for two days, go back to Vancouver for one night before heading out to Edmunton for 1.5 days.

Hence, I think the solution to car or no car has been solved. Now, it's coordinating transportation.

I guess I've come to realize that we can't just be on the go since we have a little one with us. So, it will be a vacation at a much *slower* pace than what we are used to.