Where to go and when

Dec 30th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Where to go and when

Well, I am just started to do some research on a trip to Canada.

How do you decide where to go adn when.

We are two active women...agees 44 and 41. We are more interested in beautiful scenary, nature, wildlife, etc. Not big on nightlife entertainment. WILDLIFE is my passion!!

We can use timeshares for pretty cheap if availalbe..so we might use 1 or two of them. So we can go to multiple places.

Heard a lot abou the glass covered train rides etc.

First trip - probably prefer warm weather.

Next trip - maybe in the snow.

Love any suggestions or at least anything to get me started on where to go and why.

Thanks.
Dec 30th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Sounds like the Rockies might appeal:

British Columbia: http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/default.htm

Banff/Lake Louise: http://www.banfflakelouise.com/

Alberta: http://www1.travelalberta.com/en-ca/

I've done this train trip: http://www.rockymountaineer.com/2009...FRwwawodjE_RDQ

Maybe a train trip right across Canada or just parts (one or more of their trains have the dome for viewing) www.viarail.com
Dec 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Where are you coming from? Canada is very diverse in its natural beauty (we're kinda big). Maybe seeing something that you might not have at home may be a good starting point (oceans, mountains etc.).

How long are you planning your trip for?
Dec 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM

There are tons of lovely areas with wildlife BUT for a first trip I would recommend British Columbia - mountains and ocean (specific parts of B.C that I have been to and loved - Vancouver Island - especially Tofino area, the other gulf islands, the Sechelt (sp?) (especially around Pender Harbour), the highway to Whistler and the beautiful mountains around Whistler) . Alberta also has amazing mountain scenery but no ocean. You really can't go wrong with either.

Other lovely parts of Canada complete with wildlife of all sorts:
East Coast - I love Cape Breton in Nova Scotia
Ontario - Algonquin Park - the wolf howls are magic and the moose munch plants by the side of the main road, the Bruce Peninsula - grottos and gorgeous rock formations and the clearest, bluest water north of the Caribbean (but cold, very cold water - I swim in it but I grew up north of there).
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

I will be coming from Texas...which is nothing compared to Canada !!!

I have been to Yellowstone - that is probably the best place so far for wildlife.

For mountains and scenary, I have been to colorado and to Oregon..but it was a LONG time ago.

Oh and I have been to Alaska too, but it was on a cruise so short stops in 7 towns or so.

I am thinking right now the trip will be around 10 days. 1 to fly in and 1 to fly out..so lets just say 7 to 8 to look around.
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Forgot to answer - 'when' part. Personally I have always liked travelling in September - summer vacation is over - so popular places are not as busy and accomodation is usually pretty easy to get and it is not too cold or too hot. Spring (May and June) can also be nice (EXCEPT in areas where mosquitos and black flies are common - then it can be VERY unpleasant).
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Also places VERY different from where you are from and have been to - British Columbia - especially West Coast of Vancouver Island.

Fly into Vancouver, take the ferry to Victoria (one night there) and then drive to Tofino. You will not be disappointed.
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Tofino:
http://www.tofino-bc.com/

Dec 31st, 2008, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks..I will be looking into all of this!
Jan 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM

Hi I'm a naturalist and birdwatcher so also love wildlife and scenery. I'll try to briefly summarize a few experiences and opinions:

Rocky Mountain National Parks - Banff, Jasper, Waterton Lakes, Yoho. Over 3 visits I have seen Elk (Wapiti), Moose, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Ground Squirrels and Marmots, Mountain Goat, Bighorn Sheep plus many bird species including Bald Eagle. Some of the world's most awesome scenery. Drive the Icefields Parkway, hike some of the trails. These parks can get busy though, especially Banff but shoulder season will be better.

Atlantic Provinces - Nova Scotia especially, also New Brunswick. Generally less crowded than the Rockies. Cape Breton Island in NS has spectacularly scenic Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Moose and Bald Eagles seen often, whales from boat tours or sometimes from land. Grand Manan Island off New Brunswick is quaint, quiet and off the beaten path and offers unique bird-watching tours to Puffin and other seabird colonies (early to mid summer) and superb whale-watching tours (Humpback, finback and other large whales) mid summer to early fall.

The North and West coasts of Vancouver Island offer whale-watching (orcas), rare ancient (old-growth) temperate rainforests, spectacular Pacific Rim National Park with wild undeveloped coastal beaches, forests, rocky headlands, tidepools, etc.
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island should be high on your list if your passion includes scenery and wildlife.

The Cabot Trail, which follows the Atlantic coast around the northern half of the island, features mountains-to-the-sea scenery, lots of wildlife, wonderful hiking, kayaking, cycling and whale watching (guaranteed), and a down-home friendliness that is worth the trip in itself.

A good reference site for the northern half of the island is www.northerncapebreton.com

Jan 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM

We go to the Rockies every year and are great wildlife fans.

We like staying in comfortable cabins where the scenery is great and surrounded by wildlife. Love hiking and wildlife photography.

Our favorites

www.mountengadine.com great for Moose

www.nipika.com self catering cabin in the bush

and the best...where God goes on vacation...

www.lakeohara.com must beautiful place on the earth

Have a great trip
Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

just checked out lakeohara and it looks awesome....probably a little over my budget...(although the lodge I guess was 295.00)...but would love to stay there.

Thanks.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM

It sounds like the Rocky Mountaineer train trip would be the thing for you. You could fly to Vancouver, spend some time there and take the ferry to Vancouver Island for a couple of days. Google Rocky Mountaineer and all the information you need will come up. If you can afford it, consider the Gold Leaf category. It is fabulous. The Western Tour that they have in their schedule comes highly recommended.