Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to go after spending a week in Toronto?

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Toronto in October 2006 as friends are moving out in the new year. Our girls are aged 6 and 15.

We plan spending a week in Toronto staying at Marriott Eaton Center but don't know what to do for our 2nd week.

Options (and negatives) we've come up are as follows:

Montreal (no negatives really)
Rent a motor home and explore Ontario(difficult to visit cities?)
Boston (long drive)
New York (long drive)
Washington (long drive, enough to keep girls interested?)
Toronto (enough to do?)
Somewhere else

We can fly out of Montreal without increasing costs and can drop the car off there free so that's probably favourite but wanted to see what others think before we make the plunge.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I've reposted this to be more specific in the title as suggested by another forum user.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:16 AM
BAK

Forget the motorhome plan, because it is October and, beautiful leaves aside, it's a pretty boring month except in the big cities.

But think about this.

(How well this works depends in part on whereyou are from, what you are interested in, etc...)

First of all, make sureyou've already gone to Niagra Falls. If not, start your "spare"week with a trip to Niagara Falls.

Rent a car, and leave Toronto. Drive east on Highway 401 a little way, then go down to highway 2 at Port Hope, and follow the lake shore for a while east, at least through Cobourg.

Back to Highway 401 (superhighway, no tolls) until Trenton, then south again to Prince Edward County, which is an island (but not Prince Edward Island, which is a thousand miles further east)

Leave Prince Edward County by ferry at Glenora, and continue along the lake to Kingston.

Spend a night there.

From Kingston, head north to Ottawa, which is beautiful, bordered on the north by beautiful leaves in October, full of museums that are intereting to 6 year olds and 15 year olds, plus adults. Probably good for two nights.

Leave Ottawa, and depending on your interests, take the superhighway or, better, go along the north shore of the Ottawa River (You'll be in Quebec Province) to Montreal.

AGain, dpending on budget and interests, you might choose to spend a nigh part way between, at the Fairmont Montebello (http://www.fairmont.com/montebello/) which is a giant old fashioned luxury resort in the middle of the woods, along the river.

Mopntreal is a good city for the rest of your stay.

BAK

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:55 AM

As nice as those suggestions are there is nothing after the Falls for a teen and 6 year old.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Actually the trip to Montreal via Ottawa would have lots to offer kids...even teens...as well as adults, as suggested.

The Niagara Falls day could perhaps be one day spent with your friends during the Toronto week (only 1.5 hrs away)and that way you could spend the extra week going East.

Our kids liked Ottawa at 11 and 15 because it was a new experience, in the Capital city with great museums, art galleries and sights. The Canadian Museum of Civilization is fabulous, a steam train through the Gatineau's as a day trip, unusual. And the scenery is gorgeous. As long as you fit in some shopping along the way....and Montreal would be wonderful for that... all should be happy.

We've done the drive to Boston, New York and Wash. from Toronto and for the time and traffic etc, the only one I'd say would be as enjoyable for all involved is NYC. It's about 9 hrs. and it would be a nice time of year to go. For you some of the decision may depend on car rental and flights though.

You'll have seen enough of Toronto in a week, and with no penalties for flights or car rentals, take the opportunity and visit Ontario and Quebec.

See: bonjourquebec.com & ottawatourism.ca for some ideas, but I think you'd all have a great vacation.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Go to Ottawa. Then Quebec City Then Montreal. All are can't miss destinations. And easy to piece together stuff to do before arriving.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I agree with the above suggestions. I would drive from Toronto to Ottawa and end in Montreal. Ottawa is beautiful with lots to see and do, and Montreal is a great way to end the trip. They're so close, and yet such different cities.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Agree, go to Ottawa it is wonderful. From there on to Quebec City or Montreal, depending on how much time you have.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM

I'd probably stay in Canada too, but if you get the urge to go to Boston or NYC you might consider taking the ferry from Toronto to Rochester NY just for fun and to get out of some driving. Your kids would probably really like it. The ferry is in pretty serious financial trouble, but may still be running then.
http://www.catfastferry.com/
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I apologize, this has nothing to do with your original question ... I just saw that your girls are 6 and 15 and I feel a need to recommend to you the Famous People Players (Dinner-theatre) in Toronto. It was one of the BEST experiences I have ever had (If you are not familiar with them, they put on the most incredible black light puppet show - and they are all mentally challenged.)
www.fpp.org