Search

Where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 04:27 PM
Jeff

Where to eat?

My wife and teenage daughter will be spending three days in the Old section of Quebec City in April. Any suggestions for moderately priced restaurants to try? <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:38 PM
Diane

We were there at Christmas with our 18 yr old son and 21 year old daughter. We really enjoyed brunch at the Vieux Hotel Quebec, and there was a very cosy little lunch place tucked inside the building where there is some sort of touristy show/exhibit upstairs (we never did that, we found it when we were poking around the shops.) Can't remember it's name, but we felt like it was a place locals grab a bite. Busy, with lots of specials, and very good service. It's not far from the "art" alley -- you'll know it when you see it. There is also a fun place called "the crazy pig" (in French, but I only remember the translation). The one we ate at is outside the walls of the old city, but they have a branch in the old city as well. You will really love Quebec City.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 04:26 PM
Bob Brown

We ate at a restaurant called Louie Hebert. It is located not far from the visitor center just outside of the old city walls and fairly close to the Plains of Abraham. There is a street there, the name of which eludes me, that has several very good restaurants. <BR> <BR>When we were there representatives of each restaurant stand close to the sidewalk to answer questions about the restaurant. I found them to be quite capable in English and, of course, French. As I understood it, the rules of the game forbid them to approach you; you must ask them. <BR>At Louis Hebert I had the best scallop dish I have ever had, anywhere. <BR>I have been so disappointed almost every place I have gone, because I know what a great chef can do with scallops. Most cooks should not be allowed to cook scallops because they ruin them with all the finesse of a charging rhino. But, I was delighted at Louis Hebert, surprised even. My wife enjoyed her meal too, but I don't think she was as thrilled as I was. At last, after years of failure, I found a place that knew what to do with scallops. <BR>I thought the prices fair; no problems there. So enjoy. The food in Quebec reflects well its French heritage and adds some uniqueness of its own. You may be dissatisfied when you get home. I was. After Quebec and Paris, it is hard to face the local outfits.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 08:24 AM
Ross

Hi Jeff! <BR> <BR>My best friend lives in Quebec City, so I visit about 4 times a year. Le Cochon Dingue and Le Lapin Saute are two good, reasonably priced restaurants near one another in the Petit Quartier Champlain, near the ferry terminal that takes passengers to Levis on the other side of the St. Laurent. If you want to have the MOST fabulous hamburgers and frites maison, try Chez Victor. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the street. Just look it up in the phone-book when you get there. No tourists at all. There are many small, reasonably-priced restaurants on St-Jean in the direction AWAY from the Chateau Frontenac. You'll get a more authentic feel for the city. Have fun. It's beautiful, and the Quebecois are VERY friendly. Any questions, E-Mail me. <BR>Ross.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Diane

Le Cochon Dingue! That was it! Merci. I confess to eating moules (mussels) about a zillion ways while we were there. They were fresh from PEI and just terrific. Of course my kids wouldn't even try them....Try to avoid at the chain crepe house. It was really tacky, un-authentic, un-imaginative. Inexpensive yes, but you might as well go to McDonalds.