Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's near Fairmont Queen Elizabeth? (Dining, shopping, etc)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Hoping for your insight...
Staying at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth and would appreciate learning what restaurants, creperies, cafes, breakfast places, shopping, sightseeing, 'pretty walking around', etc. there is near there. (Within a 20 minute walk let's say--if not closer)

Appreciate your recommendations on where to go (and of course where not to go).
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM

When we were in Montreal (years ago with kids) we really enjoyed ice skating in an indoor mall, as I remember, across the street from the Fairmont. Also there is easy access to the "underground world" which is very amazing as it includes mostly all of your to do list. With the fine subway system, you can go anywhere. From where you will be I believe you can walk to Vieux Montreal within 20 minutes passing a magnificent cathedral (with sidewalk mimes in front when we were there). Take a horse drawn carriage ride!
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:09 AM

where are yo from & when are coming to Mtl ?
I am a Montrealer and I work right next door to Queen E. Fairmount ! 1st of all you made a wonderful choice of hotel . You are very well located on a busy downtown artery ( Rene Levesque) which runs East/west. ok, you walk up University 1 1/2 blocks and you're already on the famous St.Catherine Street which runs one-way East.Right away you will see a famous historic Church "Cathedrale", don't forget to go to Notre Dame Basilica (that one is a short taxi ride away ) Celine Dion got married there!
Plenty of shops and dept stores on St.Catherine including The Bay and Simon's. There's also a hip new store called Zara which has trendy European clothes. Of course there's plenty of fine restaurants on streets that cut st.Cath. like Crescent,Bishop,Peel,Drummond...one of the best fish resto is "Molivos" on Guy (between St.Cath & Sherbrooke) and if you like Italian , go to DaVinci on Bishop (near Rene Levesque) all the hockey players and stars go there.
But if you want really quant nice resto go on St.Denis Street, check out "L'Academie" , you can bring your own wine, but don't go Sat.night it's packed with locals! (need taxi ,unless you like 30 min walks) ENJOY !!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your great insight!

The trip will be in April.
Curious what you think of the underground?
Also, Are there some 'cheap eats' food court type places there?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:47 AM
BAK

Food courts -- not cheap, but not expensive either, are the wide variety of food lutlets in Central Station (Gare Central) which is underneath the Queen Elizabeth. Just take a coupl;e of escalators down, and you'll fine bakeries, delis, sit down restaurants with wonderful french fries, and much, much more.

This is probably the place to go for the best / least expensive breakfasts near the hotel.
BAK
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
So is the food court more like an American mall food court (usually a bunch of fast food outlets all next to each other and one common sitting area for all the fast food places)or is it more a collection of individual restaurants with their own styles...?
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your input. I am interested in all dining but for certain days I would love some insight on what is close to the Fairmont. Due to a conference there is a crucial time element involved. I notice many wonderful sounding restaurants but they are at least a 10-15 minute walk away from the fairmont. On those conference days that may be too long a trip.

Any input you have on close restaurants that have good food as well is really appreciated. (For the non-conference days, The plan is to partake in more of the overall Montreal experience near and far--and your suggestions will be so very useful!)
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:04 PM
BAK

One of the best restaurants in Canada is The Beaver Club, in the hotel itself.

BAK