What to wear in BC and Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Vancouver first week of June and will most likely spend most of our time on Vancouver Island with a trip to Ucluelet and Tofino and back to Victoria. We are hoping to do some biking, hiking, ziplining and enjoy a few evening meals at nice restaurants. I know we need to prepare for rain when we are on the Pacific Rim, but I'm not sure how to pack. I get cold when temperatures are in the low 70's. Does anyone have suggestions on how to pack for the weather that time of year and for a variety of activities? Do we need to be especially prepared to deal with Mosquitoes? Also, with only 7 days to spend is it too much to go all the way to the Pacific Rim - What about going up the sunshine coast and to the pacific - is that way too much time in the car/ferry?

any feedback would be appreciated
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Bring layers--fleeces and windbreaker/waterproof shell type jackets you can put on and take off as needed. I find a sleeveless fleece vest comes in particularly handy in the spring/summer.

No mosquitoes to speak of.

If you're going to Tofino go for at least 3 nights. That, Vancouver and Victoria is more than enough for a 7 night trip.

Tofino is on the Pacific Ocean--is that what you mean by going to the Pacific?
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM

The weather link.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html
Move from place to place to see what the guesstimates are.
Seven days, four travel days. Pick two. Hit google maps or other to see how much time you will spend getting from here to there.
The ferries link.
http://www.bcferries.com/
Do you want to mountain bike or pedal around a park?
What outdoorsy people dress like around here.
http://www.mec.ca/splash.jsp
You can eat well in all three places dressed in parkas and boots.
Enjoy.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. We've decided to go from Vancouver to Nanaimo - stay in Parksvile then travel to Ucluelet/Tofino for 3 days go to Victoria and leave from Vancouver.

I hope that is not too crazy. Thanks again for the great resources and insights. Any food recommendations - things you need to eat just because you are on Vancouver Island?
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM

are you staying in Ucluelet or Tofino for your three nights?
I can give you recommendations on resteraunts there but wondering where you are staying?

On your way from Parksville to Tofino you can do two stops of interest, one is 10 minutes from Parksville, Coombs Country market and the other is another 15 minutes from there and is McMillian Park, (Cathedral Grove) which is a great Forest walk.
Both can be just 1/2 hour stops but worth it.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM

Just curious as to why you're staying in Parksville--the trip from Vancouver to Tofino is about 5 hours with the ferry ride so you don't really need to break it up, it can easily be done in a day.