Search

Questions re: planning trip to Vancouver, Victoria & Whistler

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions re: planning trip to Vancouver, Victoria & Whistler

We are just beginning to plan a trip to Vancouver, Victoria and Whistler for this July. We will be driving up from So. Oregon, and will probably stop one night on the way up and one night on the way down. Assuming we have a total of 10 nights (incl. driving up and back) how would you suggest we breakup the time, and in which order should we do things?

I want to spend the most time in Vancouver as we live in a small town and enjoy visiting more urban locales.

We spend a fair amount of time up in Central Oregon during the summer so not looking for relaxation at Whistler. I found two interesting things up there that we would like to do - the zipline tours and Dog Sled "Camp" where you meet the dogs, learn about them and go on a short ride with them pulling you.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:09 AM
mtjt

You should enjoy Vancouver based on what you have said. Do the Dog Sleds in Whistler operate in the summer months like July? You may also be used to coasal scenery in Oregon, but I always recommend to visitors to Victoria that they try to plan a couple of days to drive to Tofino and visit Pacific Rim National Park (wild undeveloped coastline and old-growth temperate rain-forests).

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:43 AM
jgg
Original Poster

mtjt-thanks for the tips. Yes, the Dogsleds run in the summer on a dirt track. Here is the link to the info. on that: http://www.cougarmountain.ca/summer_dog-sledding.htm
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 05:32 AM
mtjt

Interesting about the summer dog-sledding. I'm thinking about your time: 10 days including 2 travelling nights so 8 nights in BC. As you're interested in city-attractions, that's not all that much time to tour around. For me, 4 days in any big city is enough (even Vancouver, which is nicer than most), but then I have spent a good portion of my life in/near big cities. So, if I had 8 nights, I would do 3 or 4 in Vancouver - maybe more if I used it as a base to explore up the coast or into the interior, then Vancouver Island for a couple of nights in Victoria, then a night (preferrably 2)in Tofino, (about a 4 hour drive from Victoria). If Whistler appeals to you more than "coastal rainforest" scenery, then do that instead of Tofino. You still might like a couple of nights on the island (Victoria) though for a change of pace. As to the "order", I would start with Vancouver (big city), end with Victoria (small city), put the "getaway" (Tofino or Whistler) in the middle).

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 07:23 AM

You might want to add Tofino for a night or two. There is a really nice hostel there but you must book way in advance.

They have excellent fireworks in Vancouver on Wednesday and Saturday nights during the last half of July. Try to catch them.

Whistler has a lot to offer in the summer. Swimming at Lost Lake is the cheapest alternative. The Zip Track, the gondola up the mountain and White Water Rafting are just a few things.

In Vancouver, hike up Grouse Mountain and have lunch at the top. See the birds and bears and check out the views on a clear day.