Search

What to pack?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to pack?

Hi and heading to Canadian Rockies mid August. Not sure what to pack as far as clothes, jackets, etc. Do I need FLEECE jackets, or just light sweatshirt jackets, long pants or shorts, etc? Do I need to bring bug spray? Not planning to do any INTENSE hiking, just typical tourist stuff... Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM

The weather could range from low 60sF to mid 80sF. Evening could be mild but could also go down close to freezing - very unlikely but possible.
The key is layers. I don't know what sort of temperatures you find comfortable but for most Canadians shorts are fine from about 60F up.
Bug spray's a good idea but you can easily get it in Canada.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks taggie for the info...
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Weather in mountains very unpredictable. Layers key. Long pants, or pants with zip-off legs, shirts that wick perspiration away under fleece with shell to stop wind, rain or Gulp! snow. Last night temperature dipped to 40 F. Today 80 F is forcast.

Also need sunsceen. Air is thinner, burning rays stronger.

And water bottle holsters if hiking.

Rockies beautiful every month. Hope you have a great vacation.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everittp. Just went out and bought my husband a lightweight rain jacket because I'm sure that will come in handy as well. Maybe we will actually be able to use the fireplace in our room in August!!! Appreciate everyones feedback...
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:54 AM

We are 2 seniors 73,75 visiting from UK.Arriving Vancouver middle of April(9 nights) and then travelling by Greyhound to Kamloops(1 Night )then on to Banff for 4 nights then Calgary(by bus again)staying for4 nights. As we are not into climbing etc. would we be staying too long in Banff( taking coach trips)There seems a lot to see in Calgary. We are staying in Econolodge University at Banff Trail.As this is the end of 5 month holiday to beat the British winter, economy is one of the reasons for staying there.Question .Is it too far out or is the train and bus service good at that area of town.We are used to travelling around by bus as we usually spend 2 months in Las Vegas each winter.( For the sun.)Would anyone suggest any other option,wether downtown or anywhere.We hope to go to the dinosuar museum and the Heritage Museum also.Plus:::lots of shopping. Any ideas would be welcome.Car travel is out of the question now. We have driven a lot of states in US over the years but now feel to old. Still want to see the world though.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:57 AM

I totally agree - layer, layer, layer! Those zip-off pants are a God-send - love them! everitt's advice is right-on.

eenide, you're likely to get a better response to your question if you post it seperately, under it's own, relevent title - otherwise folks are responding to packing questions! The dinosaur museum is fabulous - good luck with your plans!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

We just got back from Canadian Rockies trip in August and I'm so glad I brought a FLEECE jacket with me. It came in so handy on those cool mornings. My husband and I really got alot of use out of those jackets as well as the light weight rain jackets we used when we went to Vancouver. We unfortunately got socked with a week of rain in both Vancouver and Whistler. I see from this post from EENIDE that it's not really related to what to pack. I wasn't really that impressed with CALGARY, but then again we are in our 30's and from the U.S., and tend to get bored easy. The scenery in the Canadian Rockies is really the main attraction and you might want to cut your 4 days down from Calgary and add Lake Louise in there. It's beautiful there! I didn't really notice the transporation system in Calgary, but I'm sure they have plenty of bus services on the main streets. You might find more information about Calgary online.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:59 AM

ENNIDE,
Mid April in Vancouver will be spring and beautiful. You will be able to thoroughly enjoy Stanley Park, Granville Island, Chinatown, Whistler etc. I would find 3 days in there for Victoria. At that time of year it is spectacular. Find listings for hotel by google search Victoria, British Colombia. It's easy to get around downtown Vancouver and Victoria but for ease and saving transportation costs, I'd try to get a centrally located apartment hotel wherever you are. That way, you can eat breakfast in, lunch as main meal while menus have lower prices, and have a high tea type supper in your room. Stopping to get yoghurt, fruit, muffins, prepackaged meats, can of soup etc. becomes part of the fun of exploring a city.

Banff is beautiful of course, but difficult to predict weather in mountains. Usually still spring skiing then, so reservations a must. In Banff there are taxis and hotel will have info on tours. The Whyte museum, Banff School of fine arts good places to go in Banff. Because Banff is so commercialized now, and expensive, I'd cut one day off there and add that to Calgary.

Do your shopping in Calgary in downtown department stores such as the Bay. You will still find mementos but they will be more reasonably priced.

I don't know when the Provincial parks are open. I'd suggest a google search for Dinosaur Provincial Park, Generally May 24 is start-up time.

In Calgary, Heritage Park will be on shorter hours of operation, but well worth seeing. Google Heritage Park, Calgary. Also google Calgary for hotels and tourist information.

Bring long pants, layers, head covering, and good water resistant walking shoes. Mountain trails may be damp or even slippery in the shade even when the sun is shining. Calgary could be bone dry or buried under a metre of snow! Which could disappear under the onslaught of a Chinook wind!

Welcome to Canada. I know you are going to love it.