What do these Quebec holidays mean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Quebec this past weekend and heard a lot of talk about Quebec Day June 24 and Canada Day the following week. I was told that malls and such were closed on these days.
I asked several Quebecois what these days mean and no one knew, which I found odd. Does anyone know what these days represent? Just very curious.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:59 AM

June 24th is St. Jean Baptiste day, not sure who he is but it is a holiday in Quebec. July 1st, Canada Day, is Canada's birthday - much like the 4th of July in the USA.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:06 AM
gdm

Hi Val
St Jean Baptiste is one of the patron saints of Quebec - John the Baptist, who was born on June 24th. Sainte Anne is our other patron saint. The holiday was celebrated in France before QUebec was colonized - an important summer solstice/catholic celebration of the time. Almost lost after the British COnquest, the fete was restarted in the early 19th century. It was adopted as the "national" holiday of Quebec in 1976 by the separatist Parti Quebecois government. There were important riots in 1968 at Montreal and since then the fete has taken on, for some, a distinctly political and nationalistic character. We had 250000 people on the plaines of Abraam here in QUebec the other night, and it was mostly a peaceful and joyous affair. Most people use it like the U.S. fourth of July - a chance to get together with family for bbqs, etc. There are also large communal parrties and bbqs in many parts of QUebec. Bonne Fete! (bonne fete nationale, or bonne fete st jean!)
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 06:45 AM

I can't believe that the people you asked in Quebecn did not know the significance of the Fete National or Canada Day. It's like asking Americans the significance of Thanksgiving and July 4th. While some strident Quebec Nationaslists studiously ignore Canada Day that's very different from being ignorant of it. Methinks your leg was being pulled.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gdm for the great detailed info. Exactly what I was looking for. Now I know.

GaryA, I don't think they were pulling my leg. There were about 3 shopkeepers and another 4th person (that I know) that really had no idea about Quebec Day. Two of those said that it was like our Thanksgiving Day. To which I asked, Well what are you giving thanks for? That stumped them!

In all fairness, around the 4th of July here in the States a roving reporter will go on the streets and ask Americans what the 4th represents to which several people admit to not knowing. Bizarre! (c'est dommage!)
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Some people may not understand "Quebec Day" either because a) it doesn't exist, it is called St-Jean Baptiste Day, or because some people refuse to celebrate this day, as the nationalists call it "La Fete Nationale." Although the real national holiday is on July 1st, Baptiste day has become nothing more than seperatist pride day. I don't celebrate it....
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:08 AM

Canuck Dan:

I guess you don't know that "O Canada"
was composed for the St-Jean-Baptiste Day of June 24, 1880.

Unbelievably, it was only officially adopted has Canada's national athem 100 years and 3 days later! A bill to that effect was passed by the House of Commons and accepted by the Senate on June 27, 1980.

Now I guess you know why June 24 has become a seperatist pride day!
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 12:44 PM
gdm

Hey Louis
I didn't know that! I'm glad I looked back in. I'm not a separatist, but I love a good party! Maybe Dan's invitation got lost in the mail...