Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Welcoming all advice for a 2 day trip to Montreal..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am heading to Montreal for the weekend. I haven't been there in YEARS. I am open to any suggestions/advice on what is a must-do during my 2 day stay.
Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Hi there

Two days is not long...

Montreal is not so much a city of must-dos in my opinion as one that lends itself well to wandering without too much of an agenda. The best way to enjoy Montreal I find is to pick a neighbourhood to explore (by foot of course) and let that neighbourhood reveal its secrets to you.

*If it's THIS weekend, Mont Royal might not be the best idea, as it's likely icy/muddy... otherwise, a climb up the "mountain" is a good way to spend an afternoon.

Pick an area or a street to focus your attention upon:

*Old Montreal
*McGill Ghetto
--wandering on Milton St., Hutchison, Aylmer, some terrific architecture
*Plateau Mont-Royal
--focus yourself on one of rue St. Denis (more Franco artsy), boul. Saint Laurent (more Anglo Bohemian) or Mont-Royal Ave. (similar to St. Denis) as central arteries... pick random side streets to walk down.
--Within the Plateau, Parc Lafontaine is my favourite park in the city(but perhaps not THIS weekend, it's still MELTING), rife with ambience
* Parc Jean Drapeau (Iles Notre Dame and Ste. Helene) are LOVELY, but again probably not THIS weekend (stunning river views)
*Jean Talon Market or Atwater Market (if you like the energy of a market, and want to get quality local produce)
*Westmount (if you want to see beautiful old (and expensive) homes)

This is a very incomplete list (many other interesting places) and you won't even find the time to do half of what I've mentioned. Have fun!

Daniel
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Daniel!
It so happens that I am traveling there THIS weekend but I won't let the weather be a downer. I appreciate your advice and I will certainly take it along with me.

I am so glad to hear that Montreal, "lends itself well to wandering without too much of an agenda" as that is the best way to travel. I am looking forward to no agenda and just letting the roads take me where they may.
Thank you again!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM

At the week-end, the Jean Tallon market is the place to be. I just love visiting it and the good thing is that you can take the Metro there. The quality of local produce is second to none. Also, the Botanical Gardens and the Biosphere are well worth a visit. Again, both are accessible by Metro.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Old Montreal is most agreeable off- season and a lot less hokey! There are many historic buildings to admire, along with a variety of interesting boutiques and restaurants. Check out the Marché Bonsecours on St. Paul Street, which now sells quite a variety of Quebec handicrafts. One of my favourite places to eat is L'épicier, an informal French restaurant with an excellent seasonal menu, catty-corner from the market, on the other side of St. Paul. A little snow only adds to the "ambience d'autrefois", i.e. the old-time atmosphere! You can imagine the sleds that used to ply those narrow old streets in years gone by!
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:47 AM

You would probably have to buy tickets from scalpers, but Saturday night the Leafs play the Canadiens at the Bell Centre. It's a classic match-up even though the Leafs will be missing the playoffs and the Canadiens are holding on for dear life. The atmosphere is electric every time these two old rivals play.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice, I will certainly take it with me on my weekend trip! I am very excited and will be there soon!
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:16 AM

Old Montreal!!! It's just so great and so many things to see!

Also visit the St. Joseph Oratorie, it's old and has a lot of traditions.

For shopping/restaurants for to St. Laurent and St. Denis streets (east of downtown). Also there are underground malls with a lot of shops, you don't even have to get outside!
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM

Off topic fodorsfanatic... I love your screenname. You should post on the lounge with a name like that youre sure to be welcome!
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:11 AM

Hi,
Me and my husband planning 2 days trip to montreal
On this weekend, but its first time for both of us
Visiting montreal, please suggest/advice , what we must do in our 2 days , thnx in advance ,...